got the new motor, wont turn over.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Well i got the 7.3 in the shop and icant get it to turn over!!! It sat for about a year but it was under the hood of the truck with the injectors out and the pump, as as well at the glow plugs all pilfered. It sat in in impound lot and was said to run before it sat. My question is what do i do to break it loose? i poured marvel mystery oil down the injector holes and have let it sit for a few days i am going to go try again later, but i figure it will do the same thing and just spin the bolt on the crank. should i just pull the heads or give it a little while? :confused:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
If you have the time and $$$ be a good idea to pull heads. Might be a significant amount of rust set up on the cylinder walls. I have had some rust set up on mine, even with the injectors and plugs in. The hood to cowl seal leaks on my truck, good entry point for water on that truck too if the same case. If you pulled the heads you would be able to see this and clear as much off. You may still have a smoker (engine oil) but also a runner rather than a non with cracked rings :(
Good Luck
James