Got "NEW" truck, am considering a swap to diesel

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a 1988 F250 4x4 with 5.0 and AOD. I was considering swapping in my 6.9 and C6 for now and running as a 2wd until I can scrap out the leftovers and sell the 5.0 and AOD, which both run very well, and pick up what I need to finish the 4wd. This way I will have a truck that will not only run look excellent (body was redone a few years ago) but will retain the power of the strong 6.9 I have.

Though the rear is just semi-floating and the rest of the suspension seems to be light duty for a 3/4 ton, after taking measurements between the 86 super cab 2wd and the 88 LD4x4, I found that a lot of the components will swap right over giving me a stronger - more capable - vehicle. Of course some welding and structural beefing will be done, but in the long run it shouldn't be too bad of a project, especially considering the initial cost of the vehicle was, ummm, $ZERO. Yep, it was free because the previous owner was told to either get rid of it or repair it, and he didn't want to repair it because his son cracked apart the tilt steering column wanting to take it for a ride.

Anyway, I'm planning on making the swap but if anyone has any interesting ideas on ways to do it or even just upgrades as I do it, I'm all ears... I'll add a few pictures to show what a little "good" luck for once can bring.

Fred
:peelout

The light blue supercab is the 86 with 6.9 and BUILT 2wd C6 I plan on using for a lot of conversion parts, and the black 77 F250 4x4 was the truck I initially planned on using for the diesel conversion. I still may as I have a line on another 6.9, providing I can get enough $$$$$ for the extra parts and steel I scrap out.

It's nice having dreams for the moment... But there will be a "new" diesel 4x4 within the next couple of weeks for me.

Attachments

• 1988 F250 Bob $500 b.jpg
    1988 F250 Bob $500 b.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1988 F250 Bob $500.jpg
    1988 F250 Bob $500.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1988 F250 Bob $500 c.jpg
    1988 F250 Bob $500 c.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1988 F250 Bob $500 d.jpg
    1988 F250 Bob $500 d.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 05-04-11_1450.jpg
    05-04-11_1450.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 77 Ford.jpg
    77 Ford.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 12

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
wow thats a sweet light duty F-250 i would definetly toss the 6.9 in it and rock out:rock:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's been a few guys going this route lately, and I'll hrow in the same $.02;
Swapping parts between body styles doesn't add too much difficulty. I used a 89 F250 as a donor for the entire drive train currently in my truck. The only 2 pieces that can't be easily modified to work on the different body styles are the pedal assemblies (not an issue for you) and the core support. If you're handy with a welder, you can cut and paste the 2 core supports together.
Not sure about the spring differences in the 2wd trucks, but in the 4wd, IIRC diesel and 460 trucks used the same leaf springs, 351 trucks had softer prings. Could you possibly swap the coil springs out of the 86 as well?

Aren't all of the frames between F159-350 the same? If that's the case, no welding or "beefing up" required.

The one thing I wish I did when I had the motor out; rebuild the oil cooler.

White Elephant

Reaction score
I"m like the other fella... i"d rather swap it in the older 77. i think that would be kinda cool. but thats just my 2 cents. When i swapped a diesel in mine it was pretty easy. The hardest part was making the 4x4 work and all the tranny stuff i had to do because of it. But i got the zf5 in mine. i dunno about them autos.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 should probably have head gaskets and oi cooler done while you have it out. 2-3 hr job on the engine stand, a couple days if you want to be insaneley thorough, many times over that amount if done in the engine compartment. ARP studs would be a great upgrade especially if adding a turbo. If not some Victor-Reinz gaskets and getting the block and heads spotless and I bet you don't ever have to worry about head gaskets again.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as the engine comes out, the engine will have new gaskets put in the upper end as well as the needed GPs and return lines. Having worked on enough IH tractors I can tell you that the oil cooler will be gone through as well, and I just have to get lower end gaskets and main seals. It's all waiting for this heat to drop a few hundred degrees and the rain to stop, seems without one you get the other. And to be honest, I'm pretty meticulous about building engines so I will probably take longer than need be to go through the engine.

I was always planning on dropping the engine/tranny in the 77 as it would be cooler and more of a dream ride, but I have other plans... There's another 6.9l I know of that''s in good shape, and then there's that Perkins I've had my grubby eyes on...

Seriously, I am trying to trade off my 69 GMC to someone in exchange for a 6.9 with 4 speed and transfer case. I almost have it worked out, and when I do it goes straight into the 77.

Using various parts interchange catalogs I have determined that most of the parts I have will easily slip between vehicles or handle the heavier weight of the diesel. At the moment I have enough spare vehicles around that I could be considered a business, and they all run. Insurance is just too much for everything, and the local idiots who are moving out from the city next to farms don't like the look of farms, so unless we have EVERYTHING garaged, we have to get rid of things. Lost a lot of good steel already due to rotten scrap and steel prices around here. I can't even make out if I hauled it myself.

Anyway, I'm gonna stick with the C6 for now since my clutching ankle never healed right from being crushed on the farm 4 years back, and it's a hurting unit. So I figure I can run it until fall without really worrying about the 4wd works. I have until then to figure out if I want a divorced unit or figure out some kind of OD setup or get some other deal going. But for now, Old Blue has seen better days and this way I can get her to live on.

Just out of curiosity, how strong is that semi-floating 10.25? I'm gonna hang on to the FF one until I know for sure. Plus, I still have to figure out the ratio.