got my factory turbo on, and all i can say is wow!!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
:rotflmao

The up pipes on the factory turbo like mine has a slip couple in it too, i didnt mess with it cause i didnt want a leak, but i wouldnt care too have the slip fit downpipe im sure i could get it not too leak, i just want a faster spooling turbo and more boost, but honestly i dont need it, the truck has too much power now, i pull out from a road and floor it and turn my 6000 pound truck sideways in the road:eek:

Lord help you when it gets wet....

Tyler's roads are really smooth, like the asphalt isnt that course. So when its raining, its like driving on concrete, with water. I've tried to merge into another lane and had my truck go sideways on me in 4th. I cant slip the clutch in 2nd otherwise I just spin and go nowewhere.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A model 6.9's (83/84 model year) had a different precup design which netted 20.7:1 compression versus 21.5:1 compression.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
And it would take a lot of money to get the 3" outlet either have to find a used kit/truck with it or make some one an offer they can't refuse for the one on their truck.

Yea i wish i had the better outlet and downpipe but i aint got no money so i guess i will make a better downpipe sometime and just live with the stupid outlet.

you both seen the exhaust housing I modified right?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...So the precup from an 83 can allow for about 2 psi extra? Not to mention oif it gets ported and the heads get blueprinted, it could allow for maybe a few on top of that.

SWS

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
yes 83 has lower compression, i been thinking about deleteing my glowplugs again and lowering the compression more,

Now this morning i changed boost lines to a copper line and moved it to the intake hat instead of were the wastegate line is, and i maxxed my IP out, i havent drove it yet, but i will later, but upon revving the engine i think i only built around 5 PSI at 3000 rpm now revving, so the intake hat port must read different than the port were the wastegate hooks?:dunnocookoo

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
OK with the pump maxxed if i rev it i still get 10 psi!!!:dunnocookoo i will have to post a video so yall will beilieve me, but its true,

I done a wide open throttle run from 1000 rpm in 4th gear and here is what i got:
1000=1psi
1500=6psi
2000=10psi
2500 and above=15psi max boost

If the turbo aint spooled it smoke a bunch but once it spools it still cleans most the smoke up with the pump maxxed, i have alot of power and boost builds fast! but maxes at 15psi and wont go no higher

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your 1000-1500psi numbers sound off. And your free revving sounds off. Might wanna look into a different gauge.

12vctd

Reaction score
Now on a cummins 6bt right after i blew the seal in my turbo, I was getting boost reving the engine with no load, exhaust pressure was leaking thru to the other side. Doubt thats your problem, again I have never owned a turbo idi, so I have no idea where to tap the boost gauge too. But I still dont understand how you can get 10psi reving the engine with no load...i belive you, i jsut think maybe the gauge is off or theres something not right.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I still have my wastegate hooked up and set to 8 lbs, which I can achieve before 1500 if I stand on it but at about 2800 it starts dropping until I'm at 5 at 3000, and can not get above 3200. I know that my IP isn't timed properly though and I have stock injectors.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lord help you when it gets wet....

Tyler's roads are really smooth, like the asphalt isnt that course. So when its raining, its like driving on concrete, with water. I've tried to merge into another lane and had my truck go sideways on me in 4th. I cant slip the clutch in 2nd otherwise I just spin and go nowewhere.

Thats no joke. Mine is a lot less grunty with taller gears, slushbox transmission and a turbo thats laggy as hell but if I'm not careful on wet pavement my truck will move sideways with the posi-track.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a stock 1994 7.3T on it's way here to pull from a truck I bought....This thread has me thinking about a refresh and install in my F350....The 6.9 is tired but it works ok....I need more power though....It labours pretty good on the highway grossing 15,000lbs....It's that or my Cummins - I gotta perk it up some how...:dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Your 1000-1500psi numbers sound off. And your free revving sounds off. Might wanna look into a different gauge.

I was meaning to buy another boost gauge anyway i mean the one im using i bought over a year ago but i never used it, but i dont like it so im gonna buy another one next chance i get, i dont have no reason to beilieve its lying, the turbo raises hell i have never herd turbo whistle like this except for a 6.0, but i will change gauges as soon as i get some extra money, and i will try to get a video of it soon too,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online