Goofed again!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Kenny.. You make big f up... there be many deaths...:sly Actually guys as Bill posted. that flange on the end of the crank is drilled thru into the oily side of the pan so oil is going to leak past the tightened bolts but how much..:dunno As for what Mel posted.. thats the way of doing these critical bolts. The torque is 47 lbs and sealant is requested in all my engine books. Now depending on how much was used is something I can't say or speak too because I was not there when it was done. but knowing it was done tells me to run it and see what happens. Its plenty o work removing all of it just to find things were ok but at least you know. So I say run it knowing loctite was used and see whats going on. Its not going to leak like a gusher but it will throw oil around in the area. Just glad you don't have a clutch in there cause thats a good day gone bad in a hurry with oil on the clutch... Why are you getting ticked for sitting on a public street...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you getting ticked for sitting on a public street...

A lot of cities have a time limit on how long you can park a vehicle on the street to cut down on people "storing" thier vehicle on the street and causing a neighborhood eyesore.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it. If you have loctite in there I bet the threads are sealed. Loctite is all I seal my threads with. So far so good.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They gave me a ticket on my reg cab 86 for having it parked in my own driveway! Our driveway is short and the only way I can keep it from hanging over the sidewalk is to shove it into the garage door.
We dont even live in an association, its a 25 year old neighborhood.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used blue loctite on my crank bolts. So far, they have not leaked on the clutch....12000 miles or so since the swap.

I bet you are ok as long as he used more than just a drop.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about it. If he put some loctite on there, just run it. Better to get it going now and see if there is anything else wrong than to keep taking it apart for little ****. All or nothing!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about it. If he put some loctite on there, just run it. Better to get it going now and see if there is anything else wrong than to keep taking it apart for little ****. All or nothing!
Lmao! Cant believe Ford was unable to help me with C6 torque converter nuts, ended up ordering some from Summit and they are not what I wanted. Had to find a supplier on ebay.
Going to order the exhaust parts from Hypermax and a couple things from Gear Vendors tomorrow morning and hopefully have the thing running in the next week or two.
The best part of the whole project is the fancy B&M truck floor shifter I bought for it, looks pretty dang nice in there.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way. Does anyone know how much and what kind of fluid I should use in the C6? The torque converter is new also, so everything is completely empty. Is there some sort of method for filling it? Seems like you wouldn't want to pour it all completely in at once. Thanks.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you should have filled the torque converter halfway before installing it. In a C6 I probably wouldn't use anything fancier than Napa ATF, but I'm sure someone with an automatic will chime in. : ) I could be off base, but I think the converter holds between 4-6 qts and the trans holds another 7? So I would put 7 or 8 in first, then fire it up ready to pour more in with a trans fluid funnel(Very handy!)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not have to put any oil in the convertor, the trans will pump it full, they usually drain back overnight anyway.
Start with 4 qts, much more and it can come out the vent, fire it up, keep filling till its full, it will take 12 if everything is dry.
The loctite will make an ok sealer, the bolts have no lockwasher on them so the head will seal to the flexplate, there may be a seep but it wont be much.
Trans uses dex/mercon fluid.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should hold about a case - 12 qts. 7 or 8 is a good starting point. Used to be type F but now I guess it's whatever meets or exceed that. Should say on the can.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1980 ford went to dexron in all autos. IIRC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online