good news

Reaction score
Well at least some good news. I was talking to the po on my truck on Saturday asking about what the engine builder did when he rebuilt the motor. He told me he coated both the pistons and the valves to protect it from the extra heat that is caused by the turbo. I think he said moot coated does that sound right to you guys.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I've heard of "Moot" coatings. Anyway, that's good info to have. Certainly wish I could have coated mine when doing the rebuild.

Heath

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cryo treat the valves maybe. Usally just buy inconel valves an not coat them but possible. Without knows who or what was coated I would not try an hold higher egt. Usally people get around 200-250 degrees of extra egt room to play with but most just run it to 1250 an leave it there when coated. I have read of somone hitting 1600egt a few times with coated internals.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would be ashamed if I ever reached 1600 degrees and something happened... Like a piston melting... Aluminum melts around 1225 degrees... So reaching 1600 degrees tells me someone has done plenty of work on that engine. Reaching it safely... How do you know untill you reach the failure threshold... Then its a few hundred degrees too late... I'm happy with 1100 degrees and creamic coated piston domes.... I feel I can get home safely at that temp without any worries...

Black dawg

Reaction score
I always get nervous at 1200. I do know of several guys that run much hotter than that with no issues. This one guy (with a 12v) had a better pump with a very aggressive fuel plate, delivery valves, and bigger injectors. He ran it that way for years with no pyro, with me always telling him that he really should have one. I finally talked him into it, and pulling his normal load up the usual hill would get 1600 for better than 10 minutes.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always get nervous at 1200. I do know of several guys that run much hotter than that with no issues. This one guy (with a 12v) had a better pump with a very aggressive fuel plate, delivery valves, and bigger injectors. He ran it that way for years with no pyro, with me always telling him that he really should have one. I finally talked him into it, and pulling his normal load up the usual hill would get 1600 for better than 10 minutes.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I'm amazed he didn't have a meltdown...unless he did a ceramic coating on the piston tops, aluminum is still aluminum, no matter how well-built the engine is...

Black dawg

Reaction score
no coatings, and this truck is still running fine. He still uses it the same way, says that if it lasted 4 years that way it isnt hurting it.

really makes you wonder...