Good idea, COLD air intake

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If someone wanted to be really cool, they could fab up an intake runner that is the same sort of concept as that one. Then instead of using gas to cool the thing in the middle, have a container of ice water with a pump to circulate it through your intake. Probably wouldnt take long to get temps high though.....

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, ice water would soon melt. However... Arent one of the ac tubes supposed to be super cold?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Which part of my statement are you questioning? And, I havent looked into those, probably due to cost and return.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Which part of my statement are you questioning? And, I havent looked into those, probably due to cost and return.

The part about only a splash system working on our application.

as for "return" I'd consider 200-300 degree drop in EGT's and an increase in power a very good return on investment?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Only going to get a power increase if you add more fuel, thus bringing your egt's back up, it's one or the other. Then you're paying more for fuel and have to worry about water level etc.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Only going to get a power increase if you add more fuel, thus bringing your egt's back up, it's one or the other. Then you're paying more for fuel and have to worry about water level etc.

Beg to differ with you bud.

If Water **** Injection wasn't a winner for EGT cooling and power adders, you'd need to call every high HP diesel puller wrong. On a more local note, do you think the guys making some power from these old IDI's would be adding water/**** injection just "for giggles"? It makes power no doubt about it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Actually most burn a mix of methanol and water, in the form of windshield washer fluid. If you burn straight water then your right though, no power increase. But straight water will definatly lower EGT's.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, it will make more power, but it's just like adding a turbo, the real power adder is the ability to burn more fuel.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Actually most burn a mix of methanol and water, in the form of windshield washer fluid. If you burn straight water then your right though, no power increase. But straight water will definatly lower EGT's.

Yep, and a whole lot easier to use and maintain than this proposed CO2 system... the 7 gallon tank I have I could drive all the way to California and back 1/2 way (with heavy trailer in tow) and not use 7 gallons of plain old water...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matjonbak

Staff online