Good deal on 39 gallon tank?

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Found this on one of my late night internet travels. I want to add it to the rear of my truck since the existing tank leaks anyway. I already don't have a spare so that's not an issue. Is it the right tank? Any reason I shouldn't buy it? It's one of the lowest prices I've seen ---> http://www.frtruckparts.com/request/index.php?cat=67&year=1984&make=FORD&model=F-SERIES%20PICKUP

Buy so We can put it on the beast later ;Sweet . Btw that is the asking price for a used tank at the jyard. The pick up can be adapted no problem, not the sending unit may need some fabrication.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
...will you need a different sender for a deeper tank...

I think I'll need a different pick up but I'm not really sure yet. I'll need to do some research while the tank gets here. I was concerned that the deal could be "too good". So as long as the vent, etc. all will work I'm getting it.

Thanks!

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
That tank looks very much like the tank I bought from Automotive Parts Network. Their part number 14404. My tank came with the stuff needed to extend the fuel pickup down and what was needed to modify the fuel gauge sender. I ordered their tank support kit also as the stock tank supports won't work. The tank did not have the 3/4" vent nipple I needed so I had a short pirce of 3/4" tube TIG welded in right next to the filler nipple. I had the vent nipple installed as high as possible on the tank along side of the filler and the initial fill I got 43 gallons into it.

The only big problem with the installation was it is intended for, I believe, '87 and later. If your crossmember behind your rear tank curves forward on both ends where it goes to the frame there is a clearance issue. I had to cut that crossmember out and replace it with a straight one I made out of a piece of channel. If that is what you run into let me know and I can probably get under there and get you a couple of pictures of how I did it.

Jim

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I paid $300 for one of those for a 77 F250 years ago.

Double wow. Check out their stuff. Door shells for $57!!

Triple wow. Diesel exhaust manifold, $23!!!

Last edited:

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Fly- did you get that tank installed? What type of mods did you have to do?
The tank you got is 1/3 the price of the same tank from APN, but APN makes it sound like everything comes with it to hook it up except for the new straps.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
I ended up not ordering it right away. The main reason was that the shipping was going to be over 90 bucks. So, I figured I'd look for one on the right coast and maybe save some dollahs...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I ended up not ordering it right away. The main reason was that the shipping was going to be over 90 bucks. So, I figured I'd look for one on the right coast and maybe save some dollahs...

You can go to brandywine used parts on upper marlboro they have tons of steel/plastic tanks ready to go. I go a front tank for my truck for $40 with the fuel sending unit in it.

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
that's the same size that I used for upgrading mine. I have a cruise range of 900-1K miles before I have to stop to refuel. I had two post that talked about the change over.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online