Glow Plugs.

fordboy324

Reaction score
Okay guys. Just got this 92 f250 with the 7.3 with the banks on it. When i turn the the key on the glow plugs dont cycle whatsoever and the wait to start light doesnt show. My girlfriend drives this to work and i dont want to use starting fluid anymore. I have used a couple times in the past 4 days. It hurts to use it everytime but i have no choice. HELP!

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to test the glow plugs themselves and the relay to see if they are working or getting any juice whatsoever..... in the meantime why not plug it in at night? You should get a good start in the mornings as long as it's strictly a glow plug related issue..... hope that helps some.......

fordboy324

Reaction score
I do plug it in. Had to replace the connection today. It was frayed. Where is the glow plug relay located?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
well..... on a 1992 i'm not 100% sure, cause i don't know if its the same as my truck, but if your in front of the truck look just to the left of the engine towards the firewall, should be sitting up there somewhere..... sort of a small round black thing with a bunch of wires attatched to it...... sounds like a lousy description, probly is, and if thats not where it is on your truck, im sorry, lol, i tried...... but someone will chime in if i'm wrong.....

and if you plug it in and it still doesn't start you may have something else going on???

fordboy324

Reaction score
No its starts right up in the mornings if I plug it in. Its getting correct fuel because I can see it some out my stacks. Its the glowplugs because they dont cycle. Once the engine its warm it runs great! BUT...I need to be able to let it sit for 8-9 hrs. and then go start it without starting fluid!
Thanks for the help!

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since your truck is a 92 i believe the controller is located behind the air cleaner on the back of the engine. it should have a black plastic covere over it and you will have to unsnap it to get to the wires. need to make sure if its getting power to it,and if you turn the key on do you here a clicking noise? if its clicking then check the little wire that has a plug on it to see if it has a bad connection or it came unplugged.

fordboy324

Reaction score
Nope I get nothing as far as noise. My brother in law has a had a 7.3 powerstroke and a 6.0 and you know when they cycle. There loud! When I trun the key on its like there is no such thing as glow plugs in my motor(impossible).What is the best way to test everything? I have an Multimeter. What does it need set on and what should everything read?

suv7734

Reaction score
Which version of the Banks do you have? The controller is relocated from the back on the installation of the turbo. The glow plugs should be tested with your meter set for ohms and the plugs should read 1-2 ohms when cold, measured from the base to the connector tip.
Since you're not getting any 'noise' at all is it possible the prvious owner wired in a bypass/manual switch for the glowplugs?
I'll go pop a pic of the controller on the older Banks install and post it for you.

Here's where the controller is mounted on the older style Banks installations. I believe the later versions were mounted similarly.

Attachments

• gp_controller.JPG
    gp_controller.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to check to see if you have power to the controler set a volt meter on dc volts any setting higher than 12volts. now take the red lead of the volt meter and touch it to the battery wire on the controler and the black lead to a good ground, there should be a constant 12vfolts from the battery with the key off. now when you turn the key on 12volts should be supplied to the little red wire and the solenoid should click. if theres no power coming to the controler from the key something else is wrong. you can use a short jumper wire and jump from the bettery terminal on the controller(yellow line) to the ignition switch terminal on the controler (red wire) and the controller should click and supply juice to the glow plugs.

fordboy324

Reaction score
It just dawned on me that there are two wires red and yellow hanging off to the left side of the battery. One had a clip on the end big enouch to fit around the bolt on the battery solenoid which is where i imagine this is supposed to be. And there is also a red one that looks to be cut hanging there also. My question is how do I wire a manual switch to the cab. I imagine that would be the easiest thing to do.