Glow plugs left out

fran35

Reaction score
Question:
My brother has an IDI that he was in the middle of changing glow plugs and compression testing in the fall when he got pulled away by life/having a baby, etc. 6 months later and 4 of the GPs were left out through winter. The hood was closed, and there was sheet plastic draped over the motor, but is there something that must be done before reinserting the new glow plugs? Any fluid that should be squirted in the hole?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe blow it out with air or turn the motor over with them out. I would be concerned if any water or dust/dirt got in their.

lude and rude

Reaction score
i would pull the other glow plugs out. squirt some oil in the each of the glow plug holes and turn it over with by hand once, then squirt some more oil and turn over with starter. then put everything together and drive it. shouldnt be an issue. since it was covered. definitely dont be near engine compartment when turn over and probably lay a towel over the holes to catch the spray.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My guess is you will not have any issues. Not likely any rust will get in the cylinders any more than thru the intake and open valves. Remember oil is both a fuel and a fluid. It WILL NOT compress. You have about 40 thousands clearance between the piston top and the heads. These are not small block engines with large compression chambers.

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
Definitely put a little oil in the cylinders.
Don't hurt nothing doing it and will ensure a smooth beginning. If you don't then an endless number of problems could occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86