glow plugs burning out

nene

Reaction score
Have a 93 turbo diesel that is used daily. It burns out two or three glow plugs every few months. The controller seems to work fine. Was told that if timed wrong it can burn out the glow plugs, this seems totally unrelated. any truth to this? I used cheap glow plugs previously, today I put in three motorcrafts, should I replace the other five to motorcrafts as well.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, do tell what brand you used originally. When you say cheap, do you mean what ever the cheapest you can find? Autolites?

Some people would say to replace all of them when at the same time. But if you think they won't swell up and get stuck when they go bad.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If the timing is advanced too far it will eat/burn up the gps. To be safe it would be best to swap them all for the Motorcrafts.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the timing is advanced too far it will eat/burn up the gps. To be safe it would be best to swap them all for the Motorcrafts.

Hmmm this is a new one. Please explain how advanced timing kills GP'S, I'd love to know.

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how it happens but it can. I replaced my IP and was too advanced with the timing, it burned them in a matter of a few miles.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they were autolites

There's your problem. Go ahead and change them all out if you are afraid they are going to swell. I am going through the same thing right now, though none of the autolites that are burnt seem to be swelling up. I believe I am down to 3 left in the engine. I just replaced 3 today with the international glowplugs I bought off ebay. In the end, I think I am going to come up one short, I only got 7 in the ebay deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger