Glow Plug Replacement Suggestions

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not great news. Lol
It's not? I don't see people complaining about issues with Bosch GPs?

Or is it that they should be working better then they are and thus something else is likely wrong?

On that note, been trying to figure out/look up the amp draw of the GPs, got any idea?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They aren't as bad as some, but they aren't great either. They can all swell, berus do it less.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not? I don't see people complaining about issues with Bosch GPs?

Or is it that they should be working better then they are and thus something else is likely wrong?
You hear more about Autolite plugs than Bosch / Wellman / etc because they're the worst of the worst, Bosch isn't the worst (if you're lucky, they died without swelling) but they are still the absolutely wrong choice for our engines. Some people do run the Bosch plugs without issues, just like some people run Autolite plugs without issue. I'm convinced that those people are all working for Chevy or Dodge, and were sent here to spread false information and sabotage our engines.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You hear more about Autolite plugs than Bosch / Wellman / etc because they're the worst of the worst, Bosch isn't the worst (if you're lucky, they died without swelling) but they are still the absolutely wrong choice for our engines. Some people do run the Bosch plugs without issues, just like some people run Autolite plugs without issue. I'm convinced that those people are all working for Chevy or Dodge, and were sent here to spread false information and sabotage our engines.
As usual, I have to point out my viewpoint here:
Autolites, I haven't ever been able to get one to work. Just plain, never had one work.

I've run DieselRX/Wellman glow plugs before, with success - ran them on my tan '88 for a couple of years with a manual glow plug setup. Ended up overheating them to failure when I couldn't get the engine to start at really cold temps(probably fuel filter plugging), but they all came out without any issues.

I'm currently running Champion in my '93, with success - Had it since December, replaced one with another Champion, then replaced another a few months later with a Beru. I'll probably keep replacing them one at a time, because, well, at last check they are all running just fine.

My blue 88 currently has mostly Champion, I believe; haven't messed with it recently. This truck has been a bit finicky to start over the last year, but I'm pretty sure it's sucking air somewhere, with classic bleeddown symptoms. Glow plugs seem to be doing OK.
I pulled them all to inspect like a year ago, was going to replace with a set of DieselRX that I had. Turns out, I got something totally wrong, because that set would not work. The glow plugs wouldn't heat up nearly as quickly as they should, every single one of them(when hooked to a battery). QC issue? Anyway, I haven't bought any more DieselRX after that, slapped the Champions back in and called it good.

My '92 still has whatever I bought it with; looks like Champions; I had a few issues with starting, but after /I reconnected the glow plug wires that had corroded off/, it fires right up.

I've been able to make a Champion bulge, but not enough to make it hard to remove/install. I slowly overheated a Champion until it started to bulge(the sucker was extremely hot), let it cool, found it still worked... and stuck it in the #2 position on my blue 88 because I didn't have any more. As far as I know, it's still working.

That all being said, I still think Beru/Motorcraft are the best(they will take 12V for far far longer before burning out), but that doesn't mean that you have to panic about your glow plugs.

In my opinion, with glow plugs, what's done is done - If it's an autolite, it'll be dead and possibly bulged before you get to it. If it's got working plugs in it(test with a wire to B+, if you get sparks, it's good), just replace the bad ones and move on.

Also, I want everyone to understand - I use what I use /because/ everyone complains. I like to get to the truth of the matter, and either prove everyone right or wrong. On my trucks, I have the tools to remove and install glow plugs quickly(Impact driver = awesome), so a failed plug isn't a big deal to me.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score

Are the Wellman the same as the Diesel RX ones (I can't remember)? I have had good luck with those and I'll certainly never own a Dodge or a Chevy... ;)

Anyhow, check your bullet connectors. I found out the hard way that if they have any corrosion in them, they will cause your plugs to burn out in a serious fashion. They're only like $7 for 500 on eBay.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to have swelling problems ever, so I use only Beru/Motorcraft glow plugs in the two Ford diesel trucks I have owned and still own. They just work!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that actually went rather smoothly. Only one issue besides the two that were hard to get to. Number 8 came out feeling like it was bent, it would get tight every half turn. Look at it and it looked scrapped on one side like you'd expect if it was bent. OK so it's bent, but it's out, except... the new one did the same thing on the way in, it got tighter every half turn. Not as bad as the old one coming out but certainly there, could the bore for the GP be off center? Really the only thing that makes sense is that it was drilled off center from the factory and has been that way ever since.

However, I certainly have an air intrusion problem. IDK yet how it will start cold, if replacing the glows even helped, find that out here in a bit. Don't matter needed to be done if only for piece of mind. But it's still not starting fast, one of the return lines looks like it's been sweating diesel, and the caps moved too easy. So I ordered a return line kit, maybe I'll do O-rings today, the kit won't be here for a week. I can probably look it up but anyone know the O-ring number. Last time I did this I just bought a selection/kit of Viton O-rings from Harbor Fraught.

And/or it's time for an electric lit pump, I keep reading about a facet pump, off to search what you guys are doing there.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
It’s probably some carbon buildup around the orafice on the inside of the hole. It happens. I can’t remeber who, but I bought the correct o-rings from a member on the forum. It may have been conestoga diesel but that was a few years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online