Glow plug removal tips?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all 8 glow plugs are bad and the truck will not start unless I use starting fluid. I don't use much just a quick spray. I know using starting fluid is bad but as of right now I can't afford to pull a head cause a g low plug snapped off. So is there any tips and tricks to remove the glow plugs without breaking them off. And just in case they do are they any easy ways of getting them out. I was thinking of using a small electric impact that should break the carbon loose without putting to much twisting force on the plug.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Let's see what folks come back with, I have not had this happen so no expert, also remember to only use Motorcraft branded GP's going forward. Many balloon and cause the tip to stick inside the head. Common issue.

Did the top electrical part, the threaded metal part, or the part that glows break off. (The more you share, the better the response. I would suggest adding a pic.) If just the top electrical part you should be ok by unscrewing the rest. Guessing the bottom broke off.

Suggestions -
1) You may want to pull the injector too, use a air spraying nozzle, cover with a cloth (So parts of glowplug do not go back down the injector hole.) As you remove the glow plug create positive pressure in the cylinder via the injector port to blow out whats left VS letting it fall in as you remove. Not talking about 125PSI, but enough to create a steady stream of air.
2) Once out reverse blowing in one hole, then the other, till no more pieces come out.
3) Perhaps disconnect the IP and crank for a couple of puffs to see if the piston tosses anyting out.
4) Replace the copper injector washer at bottom. (Make sure it comes out with the injector.)
5) I put some anti sieze on the GP's, just to make it easier next time.
6) Test to make sure each glow plug is getting power, the harnesses are known for failing at this age. That will cause the relay to not work work correctly. (Based on OHM resistance.)

All the best!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
My bad, it did not break off, you are suggesting you cannot be down if one does. Mine have always come right out without issue. Hopefully you have the Motorcraft ones. Others can explain what they did when it broke off.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the motocraft zd9 plugs. The truck could not be down for more than a day. I haven't touched any of the plugs yet. Want to see if there are things to do to make them not break off while removing them of course nothing will help if there're swollen which is why I need to know what to do if one does or should I just continue to use starting fluid until I'm able to remove a head.

CharlesG

Reaction score
I used this to remove a swollen Champion plug, and it worked beautifully.
You must be registered for see images attach

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing gets better by ignoring it. Get your deep 10 mm socket and a hand ratchet. I would not use an impact. Gently tighten then loosen. If you feel excessive resistance stop and spray a penetrating oil on the base of it, let it set and move to the next one and do the same thing until all 8 are soaking if needed. Go back to first one and loosen, if it gets hard more spray and tighten then loosen again. Normally they come out without all of that if they’re motorcraft.

CharlesG

Reaction score
It has two split nuts and three different shims to use as needed. When trying to remove a swollen glow plug, you run out of threads before you can get the plug out. A this point, you put the split nut on the plug and can continue to unscrew the plug until it comes out.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My F250 had autolite glow plugs in it when I got it and half died after about 6 months. I used a socket wrench and deep socket and was just very careful and slow about removing them and they all came out fine. Some looked a bit swollen too. I put in new genuine Motorcraft plugs.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I try to take them out while the engine is still hot or wait for it to cool completely. I was thinking of the little screw gun type electric impact it has very little turning force and the impacting should break any carbon buildup loose. Or should I just go with using a normal wrench

CharlesG

Reaction score
Should I try to take them out while the engine is still hot or wait for it to cool completely. I was thinking of the little screw gun type electric impact it has very little turning force and the impacting should break any carbon buildup loose. Or should I just go with using a normal wrench

I did my glow plugs on a cold engine, and just used a 1/4" ratchet.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all 8 glow plugs are bad and the truck will not start unless I use starting fluid. I don't use much just a quick spray. I know using starting fluid is bad but as of right now I can't afford to pull a head cause a g low plug snapped off. So is there any tips and tricks to remove the glow plugs without breaking them off. And just in case they do are they any easy ways of getting them out. I was thinking of using a small electric impact that should break the carbon loose without putting to much twisting force on the plug.

slightly turn them in and out if you feel them hanging in a spot theyre either swollen or coked with carbon usually they come out easy but have had a few cause issues make sure to only run beru / motorcraft glow plugs the others are asking for problems and are the main ones to give you issues as for ether/ starting fluid if done correctly I have never had issues a slight shot of ether / starting fluid in the breather inlet is where I do it do not shoot directly down intake this is asking for issues all your doing is helping increase the ignition ability not trying to run it off the starting fluid I often even use a rag with a little gasoline on it in front of the air box / air filter inlet also have used a propane torch to fire them off both with flame and without.

I want to point out my daily driver has no glow plugs at all ( been deleted ) and is a 7.3 idi I added a intake heater from a power stroke 7.3 where the CDR was in back of intake glow it for about 15-20 seconds and it starts down to about 65f below this I use my DIY propane injection onboard ( i use it for bursts of power when needed ) I give it a shot of propane for about 5 seconds then crank and she pops off down to about 40f below this I need it plugged in or starting fluid but it has never failed to start within a few seconds of cranking keep in mind my motor is decompressed quite a bit and runs around 25+psi of boost and is intercooled and has been this way for almost 200k miles I also want to point out I am not using normal injector nozzles I am using modified marine cummins 6BT 12 valve injector nozzles turned them down on a lathe to match the same step down as the factory nozzles.

The nozzles I modified to work and I run them at 1750psi for normal but for performance I run them 1900-1950psi granted the higher pop pressure adds more strain to the injection pump.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performanc...98-Dodge-Cummins-12V-5-9-3930324/392838843019

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Should I try to take them out while the engine is still hot or wait for it to cool completely.

I changed mine on a cold day (started to snow lightly!) but I did drive it about a couple miles before, so the engine was warm but not hot. I think I actually let it sit a bit after driving it so it wasn't such a burn risk.