Glow plug relay

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on a 6.9 so it has the separate relay on the wheel well fender. Can you jump that relay from the engine bay to power the glow plugs? I can in a different truck but it is also set up for a manual switch. I'm trying to decide if my plugs are completely dead or if I am misunderstanding something

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can take a wire and run it from the positive on the battery to the terminal with the purple wire that hooks to it. This will power the glow plugs by using the glow plug relay.

tonyj54

Reaction score
I appreciate the post, because I've been trying to figure out how to bypass the glowplug controller on my 6.9 for over a year, with no success. Bank's Sidewinder sits on top of the controller, which is apparently Tango Uniform. Installed a pushbutton, a wire from battery to one side of the button, and a wire to the glowplug relay. Don't know what I did wrong, but got a god-awful sound from starter when I tried to start the engine. Put everything back to how I found it, and went back to plugging up my "electric truck" at night.

Should I run the load wire to the relay terminal with the purple wire?

Help, please. I have to keep an extension cord in my truck, to heat block. Otherwise, it don't start. Period.

Thanks in advance. And sorry if I'm hijacking OP a bit. But, this is driving me to distraction.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's where you should hook the power. The terminal with the purple wire is the one that gets power to activate the glow plugs on the 6.9 style set up. I have a push button on my 85 and I just leave the controller unplugged. In fact, since I installed a 7.3, I don't even have a controller any more. My glow plugs work just fine.

tonyj54

Reaction score
That's where you should hook the power. The terminal with the purple wire is the one that gets power to activate the glow plugs on the 6.9 style set up. I have a push button on my 85 and I just leave the controller unplugged. In fact, since I installed a 7.3, I don't even have a controller any more. My glow plugs work just fine.

Thanks loads, man. I'll give it a try.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're welcome. Just for kicks, you can just run a jumper wire from thee positive on your battery to that terminal to see if that fixes it before you do any cutting or splicing.

tonyj54

Reaction score
That would have been a good idea, if I hadn't already done the installation.

Now. Should I leave the purple wire, or remove it before I put the new wire on the terminal?

TIA.

fjkontur

Reaction score
your 63 hang on bud i am 83 and just starting to learn love these old idi rigs now have 11 of them cant wait till simmer to start playing with them . have learned tons of tips from this forum . keep the info coming. i am starting to get a large collection of parts.