glow plug relay testing

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere I saw a picture with where I should have power and when on the glow plug relay, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a copy that can post for me? I think my relay is going out. My truck is hard to start when it's cold, and I have smoke coming out of the tail pipe when it's cranking. When the engine is warm it fires right up. I've replaced the glow plugs with OE ones recently when I did my valve covers, so that it why I think I have a relay problem.

Thanks

Tim

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

It appears that my glow plugs are working as I had someone help me, and I heard it click with the cover off, and the glow plugs pulled over 180amps initially, and the slowly dropped to around 90 amps, and stayed there for a minute or so until the relay turned off.

So now I guess I need to figure out why it's hard to start in the morning. The issue really didn't start until I switched to the rear tank. At first I thought it was just bad fuel as the truck had been sitting for quite some time, but I recently filled up, and still have the problem. Can I be getting air in the fuel system?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could be getting air. But it wouldn't be a starting issue. Unless the filter bowl is draining.

Maybe you had bad fuel, sucked up crap, and now have a clogged filter.

You said you did valve covers, I take it that means the uvch's?

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. I did replace the uvch's. The truck ran, but I noticed oil in 3 of the 4 connectors, so that is why I replaced them. That's when I did the glow plugs as well.

I also replaced the fuel filter a couple of weeks ago. I was running on the front tank at that time, and didn't have any problems after I replaced the filter. I looked in my engine valley, and it's all dry, and I don't see anything leaking on the front of the engine where the drain is. The starting problem started happening when I switched tanks, and has slowly gotten worse. I'm going to switch to the front tank on my way home from work, and then see how things go tomorrow morning. If it starts right up, there has got to be something with the rear tank.

Is there a check valve to keep the fuel from draining all the way bank to the tank? If so where is it? I'm just wondering if that's the problem.

RenoF250

Reaction score
No check valve that I am aware of. You can check if it is a fuel problem by turning the key on and listen for the fuel pump to load up and turn off, if it still does not start it is not fuel. Since you are getting white smoke I would guess you are getting fuel.

Did you run that old rear tank out before you refilled? Have you tried switching back to the front? How cold is it when you are starting?

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO how many fuel pumps do I have? I thought I just had the mechanical one at the engine.