Glow plug relay question

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since you have the 6.9 style, there's a purple wire on the relay on the fender. That's the wire that you need to put power to in order to make the glow plugs work.

Ghuds

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’ll try your setup. The fuel shutoff (injection pump) wire needs to be hooked up, the truck won’t start without it.

Ghuds

Reaction score
From what I can tell, it’s the 7.3 relay setup. If I can figure out how to post a picture I’ll do it.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it’s the 7.3 relay setup. If I can figure out how to post a picture I’ll do it.

When making a post to the right of where it States Post Reply click the upload a file that's how you insert pictures.

Ghuds

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Great, thanks!
Here’s how it’s currently wired. One of the red wires on the small post is the fuel shutoff, one is the wait to start light, and the third one comes from the module.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a diagram of how your truck was originally wired.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem is whoever put the later model controller in place, is using it as a junction block for other circuits. So you can't take it out without losing those other circuits. You will need to splice some wires together or create an insulated junction block and keep some of those wires connected if you want to get rid of that controller. You should be able to leave that controller in place, and still use your manual switch setup. It will just make your engine compartment a little messier.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Apparently someone wanted to relocate their controller. I haven't seen a factory controller located here, personally.

Ghuds

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I need to do some re wiring. That’s what happens with a 36 year old truck.
My hope is to put a plow on it this fall. It needs to be able to start in cold weather though.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I need to do some re wiring. That’s what happens with a 36 year old truck.
My hope is to put a plow on it this fall. It needs to be able to start in cold weather though.

If everything right, it will start. I used to plow with mine for years. The worst part is the defroster. These diesels do not like to warm up very quick, so it takes awhile for it to start clearing the windshield. A piece of cardboard in front of the radiator helps. What also helps is to roll the window down when you first start plowing so the humidty from your breath won't freeze on the windshield.

After you start plowing with it and using the engine, it will warm up fairly quickly after that. Just idling in the driveway it will never warm up.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Glow plugs are all working. Is the fuel shut off solenoid on or near the injection pump?
There is one red wire that was connected to a small terminal on the relay that when touched the power will make the injection pump click. If I hook everything back up like it was originally I can start the truck with either.
Don’t use ether if you don’t have to. Use wd-40 it won’t wash the oil from your cylinder walls.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t use ether if you don’t have to. Use wd-40 it won’t wash the oil from your cylinder walls.

I was told never to put any type of liquid down in the intake of a diesel. Too easy to hydro-lock it. There is not much room in the chamber when the piston comes to the top. Ether is a gas.

Ghuds

Reaction score
It does take a long time to warm up. I thought the thermostat was bad, so I replaced it. Didn’t help much.

I’ll try WD40. It doesn’t take very much for it to fire.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried the WD40 a while ago when my glow plugs weren't working. 60 degrees outside and it did nothing. I didn't have anyone to help crank while I was spraying though so that might be why.

Ghuds

Reaction score
Mine only takes one short shot of ether, then it fires. Not much cranking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online