glow-plug doesn't cycle

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out to start my truck and all it would do is spin fast but no start. I checked the glow-plug relay and there was no voltage going to the GP's. I used a short piece of #12 wire and applied 12 volts to the wires that go to the GP's and had the wife hit the starter and she started. What should I do next? buy the whole GP controller or is the problem in the relay?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO. do not replace the relay, at least not untill you check that the glow plugs are all good. If 2 or more glow plugs burn out, the controller will not turn on at all. You need to test your glow plugs but its really easy.

1; disconnect the wire from the glow plug you are going to test,

2; take a 12V test light and connect the alligator clip to the 12V positive side of the battery

3; touch the probe of the test light to the bullet connector on the glow plug.

If it lights up, the glow plug is good, if no light, the plug is dead.

Perform this test for every glow plug and see what you come up with.

Do you know what brand of glow plug you have in the engine?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I just bought a 26 foot uhaul with the international chassis, 7.3. It had 4 glow plugs burned out, all the relay would do is sit there and click off and on real fast. I replaced all of them and all is well.

One thing I didnt realize was that these things hold fifteen quarts of oil instead of the 10 my 250 uses.