Glow plug controller

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I searched and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here goes:

WTS light stays on about 6-8 seconds. Tested the voltage at the GP's = .01v cookoo, yep, thats right 1/100 of a volt. The yellow wire going into the controller ar at 12.65v. All else seems to work like its supposed to, The terminal exiting the controller to the GP's is at .01v.

Guess the controller is bad? If it could be anything I am missing (still need to doublecheck the ground), let me know. If it is, is there a good brand? Or one(s) to avoid?

Thanks

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a new relay for the controller, heck of a lot cheaper, just ask for the glowpulg relay for an 86 or earlier one, should be 20-30 bucks vs 150-200 for the whole controller.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just making sure, you are checking the glowplug wires for voltage at the same time the wait to start light is on correct?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
sounds like just the relay is bad not the entire controller. But as said make sure you are testing when the relay is pulled it and not cycling. the cycling can cause a digital meter to give you less than better results (they can't react quick enough).

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, been out of town.

Just making sure, you are checking the glowplug wires for voltage at the same time the wait to start light is on correct?

Yep, WTS light on .01 volts, light of 0 volts.

Going to try to check it again today. Thanks for the tip on the relay. I had looked up the controller and had a bit of sticker shock. :eek:

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I ended up replacing the controller. The old one had some wires that were looking like the insulation was getting old. Got it all hooked up then the WTS light would only stay on for a split second. Tracked down the problem to the main connector on the wiring harness was cracked on the end where the always on power wires to the gpc were. The wires weren't staying connected. So, I wired them separately with m/f connectors and 10 gauge wire and :eek: wow, the truck starts immediately after the wts light goes out.

The wts light seems to stay on longer, but only about 7-10 seconds (probably just counting to fast LOL, will check better this morning). Anyway it is quite a bit better than before. I needed to run the gp's 2 cycles on colder mornings before, shouldn't have to now ;Sweet. I was probably only getting power thru 1 of the 2 wires for quite awhile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance