Glow Plug Controller… Purpose of ‘zig zag’ strip?

Desert Diesel Dog

Reaction score
Hi to the group…

Question Concerning; Glow Plug Controller… Purpose of ‘zig zag’ strip?

I just can’t help to wonder what that ‘zig zag’ strip is on the back of the glow plug controller. [wide metal strip that goes back and forth a few times]

I only have a very basic understanding of electricity… but… I am guessing that this must be some kind of resistance for some reason. Only trouble… I can’t even guess why they would want resistance here…

Can anyone give me a basic idea how this whole controller works?

So far… all I know is that it... BETTER Go… click, click, click

Thanks, kj

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That zig zag strip is a chromolox heater, it controls the inrush current to the plugs and reduces the 12.5 VDC to 8.5 VDC.
On a PSD the controller is controlled by the PCM, depending on the ambient temperture and all GP's are good the controller can cycle anywhere for 2 seconds to 15 seconds, then it will turn ON/OFF up to 2 minutes. The click click is the relay energizing/deenergizing. The initial inrush current is ~195 amps for 1-2 seconds, then reduces to 132 for the rest of the cycle, whatever that duration is. You can search on the 6.9 - 7.3 forum for my video on testing them.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?67107-GP-Testing-2&highlight=testing+glow+plugs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online