Gearvendors OD vs. U.S. Gear OD?

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
i was looking at each item and each manufacturer has a special towing under/overdrive. neither say towing to what extent, though. i plan on pulling a trailor ocassionaly with probably around 6,000 pounds on it. i know mel has a Gearvendors unit on his truck so i hope to see a nice response from him about the gearvendors unit. even though i am pretty sure that the unit will hold up towing, id just like some assurance before buying the item.

thanks

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I just won one on Ebay, so I can't give you first hand knowledge. But I have read the GV is capable of handling so obnixious amounts of horsepower. I guess that would be more abusive than dragging 6000lbs. around. Mel is in OH for the IDI rally. Don't know if you'll hear from him for a few days, but maybe. Most people i've talked to had GV's, so that must count for something. I think this topic has been discussed before. Maybe search the archives & read the old threads for more tech. stuff. Just my $.02

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I have a GV on the ex-cab. It is quiet and strong...up to 30k lbs they are rated for. It's a nice addition to a t19 or c6. Sure quiets the fwy trips down...and saves a few mpgs. I have heard the US gear has some mounting issues because it is a little larger. Main diff between them is the GV shifts like an auto tranny and the US gear shifts like a manual. I have seen the inside of both and the US looks beefier but the GV is plenty strong.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never driven a truck with either unit (although I have ridden in a truck with a U.S. Gear unit and a C6; the OD unit shifting was almost violent!), but I'll at least comment...

One issue I see with the GV unit is that, on a 4x4, it runs behind the transfer case. This means that you can only use it in 2 wheel drive. Good news here is that it's easier to mount, and you only have to modify the rear driveshaft.

The U.S. Gear unit mounts between the transmission and the transfer case. This means that you can use it in any transfer case gear you want...BUT, it also means that you have to pull the transfer case to install it, you probably have to do something with the transfer case shift linkage, and you have to modify both driveshafts.

As mentioned, the GV unit is apparently more user-friendly than the U.S. Gear unit, so in my opinion, it's really a matter of personal preference. I don't think one is any weaker than the other. Personally, I lean towards the extra versatility, so if/when I add an OD unit, it'll probably be a U.S. Gear unit. But, if I had a 2WD and/or an auto, I wouldn't think twice about grabbing the GV unit.

Just my $.02, FWIW...

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you are not messing around with the truck, a GV's.. Man, you are setting that truck up pretty nice. Pretty soon, I'll have a twin on the East Coast.

Now, the GV's itself, it is really nice to be able to split gears when pulling and all that jazz, but, the really nice part is to set it in auto mode and it just shifts into OD at 47MPH. Really a nice feature, just like driving an automatic OD truck. I do like the US Gear, because you can use it it 4wd, but really, when do you haul **** in 4wd over about 55 MPH?? Scotty

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
yea, here in missouri we get the 4 seasons, spring, summer, fall, and winter. if i ever use 4WD, it will be at like 30mph. if im ever on a highway and need 4WD, i hope it isnt icy.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
beretzs said:
Man, you are not messing around with the truck, a GV's.. Man, you are setting that truck up pretty nice. Pretty soon, I'll have a twin on the East Coast.

Lookin' that way isn't it? The GV has been on the wish list from the beginning. Hopefully, the H2O will quench the IC/propane desires for a while. I have to do something with the interior before the wife refuses to ride in it. I'm thinking of naming the truck finally. "Empty Pockets" that's how it always leaves me.

Didn't mean to start hijacking the thread. Just like Scotty pointed out, how often do you need OD in 4X4? I'd rather have an easier install, but most of my driving is in 2WD.

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
the only reason i am even thinking of decking out this truck is because 1) i got it free 2) it has a new block, rebuilt heads and the works 3) it was sitting in my driveway and i attempted to fix it and did so quite easily.

now only if i had money i would already have these things, but i am not so fortunate yet.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take your time and the deals will come. I did not and paid full price for "not having patience" I am happy with it, but a few things would have saved me alot of dough, if I had listened more, and bought less. Anyhow, I am totally happy with the way the truck runs now.... Scotty

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
I have to do something with the interior before the wife refuses to ride in it. I'm thinking of naming the truck finally. "Empty Pockets" that's how it always leaves me.

You got it rough......I had the wife conditioned to where if it clears lein and it runs, she's driving it or she's walking. Or....to my daughter's delight, she had to take the spare towtruck to work with her :rotflmao. They commuted together, she taught at the elementary school that my daughter went to. ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I love her dearly, but she can be a bit of a snob sometimes. Fortunately, my daughters would rather ride in my truck then her Japmobile SUV, so they start screaming & she gives in. I'm just trying to ease her pain :Sly. Her biggest ***** is that the "motor screams so loud" so the GV should take care of that. In her defense (after calling her a snob) she did drive the wrecker all night helping me move about 25 vehicles from auction to the dealer. I loaded & unloaded but she did the gearjamming. Even backed it up a time or two. ;Sweet

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats cool, wife had the same problem with my truck, after the GV she actually likes to drive it, and since it shifts like a plain old OD tranny, she can just hop in it and drive. Really an easy truck to drive and she likes the way folks look at her, in the big farm truck. Scotty

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
This has been quite informative, for me, also. I don't need another rig, but I'm looking at an 85 C-30 crew, anyhow.

The guy tells me it's a 454, 4-speed, with an add on O/D, and 100 gallon in-bed tank. The odo shows 54k, but I'm betting it's 154k, they way its set up. I need to quiz him some more, to see what's been replaced.

I drove by it today, and it has the 'dual range' emblems on the fenders, so I'm guessing its the US Gear unit.

Turning a 4.56 into a 3.64 does sound rather interesting, especially with the big-block grunt, in front.

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
100 gallon in-bed tank.... geez man. my front tank leaks so im just gonna leave it like that. i am, however, going to get a toolbox that can carry some extra fuel for me.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
OldiesF250 said:
100 gallon in-bed tank.... geez man. my front tank leaks so im just gonna leave it like that. i am, however, going to get a toolbox that can carry some extra fuel for me.

Actually, it is one of those in bed tanks, with the toolboxes on top. As for being actually 100 gal, I don't know, that's just what he told me a while back. I might ask him again, as we were both coming out of the liqour store, at the time. :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance