Gearing up for FlyWheel and Clutch

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my ZF it came with the LUK/Valeo 12in pressure plate and disc but not the flywheel BC we couldn't/didn't have the right tools to get it off the engine. So I just need a flywheel, do I need to buy a LUK conversion specific flywheel from somebody like ft.wayne or clutch city or is that a part I can buy locally somewhere?

I heard there was a napa kit that was equiv to the LUK kit, anybody know about that?

In my truck the po kept the 77 manual linkage so I have a hard clutch, which do you think would be easier to push in, the stock 11 or the upgraded 12.25? It seems to me the 12 would have better leverage but I am not sure since it is "HD".

If I were to just reuse my stock flywheel, I read that the stock 87 ZF clutch assembly will bolt right up to my flywheel but it will be a little short and require a special throwout bearing but I think I would be exempt from this since my linkage is adjustable, I can take up the slack from the thinner FW. Is that a good theory???

What do you guys think?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just going to do the jeeper mod but AZ doesn't sell these anymore

Here's some further info for you. Go to Autozone.com and order
* Clutch disk part # CP31103A - it is splined for the ZF shaft (1-1/4") and has the springs in the hub
. (the "A" on the end of the part # is for Anti-vibration = springs in hub)
* Pressure plate part # CA31055 - this is the deeper one for the SMF
* Throwout bearing part # 614062 - this has the big center bore for the ZF and a face profile compatible with the
. release fingers on the SMF pressure plate

I am seeing solid flywheels at every parts place but they either dont list a disc size or they say 12in, I am guessing that 12in means the LUK 12.25 applies?

example
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZZZ-50-2700/Application/?prefilter=1

ALSO.. does anyone know where to get shifter parts and a new PTO cover for ZF? Dealer only?

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
The bigger the disc, the less pressure needed to keep it locked up so therefore there is less foot pressure needed.

The 12.25 clutch is worth it, but I do think that it requires a flywheel specific to it's bolt pattern.

For how much work it is, I would sell anything I had, which I did myself and just by the complete kit from Fort Wayne and you will have nice pedal pressure, no gear rollover noise and the Kevlar pilot will last and compensate for old worn components.

If you want to use what you have, just call Fort Wayne and tell them you saw and E-bay ad. That's what I did and the lady hooked me up with an old dude that definitely knew his stuff on these clutches. Then he can send you the right parts for what you need.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am seeing solid flywheels at every parts place but they either dont list a disc size or they say 12in, I am guessing that 12in means the LUK 12.25 applies?

Does anyone know where to get shifter parts and a new PTO cover for ZF? Dealer only?

Anybody Know?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I can't say for shifter parts, but PTO bolt patterns are pretty well standard. Our trucks use the small SAE 6 bolt pattern. You'll just find a place that sell PTO parts or maybe a medium/heavy truck salvage yard...

Heres one place that sells covers (first hit on a google search) http://quad4x4.com/qu70005.html

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
There are also companies that make aluminum finned PTO covers for more capacity and better cooling.

Last edited:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Here's some further info for you. Go to Autozone.com and order
* Clutch disk part # NU31103A - it is splined for the ZF shaft (1-1/4") and has the springs in the hub (This part number is no longer available through Autozone)
. (the "A" on the end of the part # is for Anti-vibration = springs in hub)
* Pressure plate part # NU31055 - this is the deeper one for the SMF
* Throwout bearing part # 614062 - this has the big center bore for the ZF and a face profile compatible with the
. release fingers on the SMF pressure plate

I was doing research for the Jeeper mod on my truck and thought I'd put Up to date part numbers in here since AutoZone no longer uses the "CA" at the beginning. The Advance Auto Parts part number equivalent for the clutch set is MU2000-1 and MU2000-1A (for the sprung hub disk) I pulled up MU200-1A and it says it does not fit my vehicle when the setting is a 1987 F250 4wd 6.9.

Last edited:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I was doing research for the Jeeper mod on my truck and thought I'd put Up to date part numbers in here since AutoZone no longer uses the "CA" at the beginning. The Advance Auto Parts part number equivalent for the clutch set is MU2000-1 and MU200-1A (for the sprung hub disk) I pulled up MU200-1A and it says it does not fit my vehicle when the setting is a 1987 F250 4wd 6.9.

i see alot of online part stores dont list a 5spd for 87...

the jeeper mod is simple. i think lol

t19 4speed flywheel.

STOCK 11" zf5 clutch disc with sprung hub (ive heard they first were being used in f450 trucks)

stock 11" t19 pressure plate

matching 4spd throw out bearing

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Ok, so I DO need to use the T19 TOB? That was my main concern...that and I'm a little worried about engagement and release clearances of the TOB to PP by piecing this together....I've done so much hunting on this subject over the last 4 days I can't think straight about anything...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
my DMF is making weird noises at shut down and sometimes at start up.

found a used SMF valeo conversion from a parted out truck. throw out bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate. $160

are these new SMF flywheels lighter?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes, but not by much...they're still heavy and awkward. I'm wondering if a 5 spring hub would be ok or if a 10 spring hub would be better with the Jeeper mod....I've still got digging to do.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i dont think you can run anymore then the 5 spring hub. not enough room in the stock flywheel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online