Gear vendors question.

Kraneman

Reaction score
I bought a used gear vendors overdrive unit for my 02 f250. I was wondering if I could bolt it up to my truck with none of the electrical hooked up and still be able to drive my truck. Reason is cause I work 6 days a week and only have Sunday to do it so I was going to do the mechanical one Sunday and do the wiring the next Sunday.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that will work fine. You just won't get any gear changes without the electrical stuff. Do be sure to have oil in it.

Kraneman

Reaction score
I had today off of work so I decided to install it. Put it in and started up my truck put it in drive and nothing the truck will not move forward or reverse. I can feel the transmission engage when I shift the shifter but the truck does not move I climbed under the truck, and looked at everything ,I didn't see anything out of the ordinary climb back in the truck tried it again . This time I brought the rpms to 3000 rpms and it kind of felt like the truck wanted to move but I guess it was like just slipping inside the unit. kill the truck climb back underneath there and you could barely put your hand on it it was so hot and you could smell like if the clutches was just burning up had that smell. Took the drive shaft off started the truck back up put it in drive climbed underneath the yoke was spending put it in reverse the same thing , but with the drive shaft hooked up to it it will not move the truck.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have two items failing.
One the cone clutch on the direct clutch is not holding. Could be the clutch lining is shot, springs engange the clutch into direct, or the overdrive pistons are not releasing causing the clutch not to engage. Overdrive is engaged by applying hydraulic pressure to the overdrive pistons and the solenoid directs the oil to the overdrive pistons.
The Gearvendor unit is in direct due to spring pressure when no power is applied to the solenoid.
The other problem is regardless of the clutch the sprague or one way bearing will allow for forward movement, but not reverse.
It could be the solenoid hanging up not allowing the overdrive pistons to release, but the one way bearing means it will need to be pulled out and replaced.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There dead simple to pull apart, the only trick is the snap ring that is accessed form the top cover with two bolts and you will need some sort of spanner wrench to pull and inspect the accumulator, pump and filter.
manual for a type J which is very close to the p

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There dead simple to pull apart, the only trick is the snap ring that is accessed form the top cover with two bolts and you will need some sort of spanner wrench to pull and inspect the accumulator, pump and filter.
manual for a type J which is very close to the p

Thanks for the manual. I searched for that a long time.
I'm in the process of replacing my cone clutch right now so it comes in handy :)