Fun-fest coming to a close?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has me thinking back to my first car, same boat as you are...Working to keep yourself in wheels.....Get used to it - your gonna spend the rest of your life trying to keep up or stay ahead of the curve.....Reality sucks huh?....We spend over $500 a month on fuel for my truck and our 02 Windstar...What choice do I have with my wife expecting twins as I have a 3yr old now....I need a minivan. I'm paying $1.55 per liter right now for diesel, $1.35/L for gas. WMO is bought for .07 -.08 cents per liter, cleaned a little and re-sold for shop heating fuel for .30-.40 cents per liter around here.

It's time to take a serious look at WMO 90-100% and prep my F250 for it...I have an endless supply of 15W-40 at work so the freebie fuel train is not the issue - cold starts in the winter is. I'm thinking tank heaters or maybe a stronger electric lift pump with a Fuel-pro fuel heater.

big rig - why don't you do something similar to the two-tank wvo systems out there? start up on diesel then switch to a second tank with wmo and mount a flat plate heat exchanger under the hood so it will heat the wmo and make it pass through the filter easy. Plus an in-tank heater like you mentioned already - and if you do that you can bundle the coolant lines around the fuel lines from the tank to keep the oil flowing easier.
only trick would be to use valves to control which fuel gets heated - you don't want to heat regular diesel if you run it straight since it lowers the lubricity (so i am told)

Paul

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So quick Justin, find a good girl and get hitched, that way you can drive you truck more.

Second thought, that only thing more expensive than driving trucks, is women...:angel:

Haha, but don't forget there are also those ladies who drive trucks - are those like double trouble or something? LOL

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you guys give the kid crazy ideas, they should probably tell him that if he was married he would be paying ALOT more than he is now.. course he would be getting some...

for a little while, til she says "i do" anyway..

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, If it were me i would talk to my parents and try and work something out with them, if you know right now you wont make enough money to pay for everything then i think you should really sit down with them and talk about it. Making 3-4 gs doesn't really pay for a whole lot when you start talking about paying for fuel. I saw today on my way back from lunch, diesel 5.25 a gallon. Thats just insane, thats almost 200 bucks to fill up our trucks. I would see if you could work something out.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My issue with a two tank system is the cost of a tank selector valve...They aren't made to be switched several times a day. More like once a week. Running a mix in both tanks would be easier...I'm taking a hard look at a Pro-heat or webasto coolant heater for winter use with a timer....Getting the oil warm when the engine is running is easy, getting it warm enough to start in the winter is the trick.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its in the 5 dollar range. Boy do i feel like an idiot, i was pissed off when i saw 3.80 a gallon a couple months ago. I was like F this i want the 3.60 we had before. Now its 5.00 + and im like wth do i do now? Luckly for me i have a source of WMO so i can do that, but i need a better system of filtering. Im thinking a hole with a elec pump and some filters then into the tanks. But im lazy and i dont know where to get the stuff the cheapest.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
LOL You guys are to darned funny. I'm a long way from getting married, a long way....:D

No, its basically final. I talked to them this morning, and they were like "its a good thing for you." I was like WTH does that mean, and they were saying things like it would make me more responsible. This is probably true, but I do try to keep my fuel consumption to a minimal these days. Looks like I will be paying for fuel and insurance. Good news though is they will let me get a job during school ;Sweet, that'll help out a bunch.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Can ya mothball your prudy red truck in favor of a gasser? If i read you profile right, your 16, your pretty much screwed on your insurance for a while.m My prudy maroon truck will sit most of the time . $3.80 vs $4.35 for bio is a big differec for me.

tractorman86

Reaction score
not a bad set up. weld a 90* pipe fitting on the top pointing down and one on the bottom pionting up and put some clear hose in between so you can watch how much you use.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Can ya mothball your prudy red truck in favor of a gasser? If i read you profile right, your 16, your pretty much screwed on your insurance for a while.m My prudy maroon truck will sit most of the time . $3.80 vs $4.35 for bio is a big differec for me.

I either have to drive my truck, or sell it and get some little commuter car. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick to the first one ;Sweet

not a bad set up. weld a 90* pipe fitting on the top pointing down and one on the bottom pionting up and put some clear hose in between so you can watch how much you use.

Who are you refering to?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
you WMO tank set up. That way you can see the level of the 55 gallon tank

Thats a good idea I suppose. I was also just thinking about putting a open/close valve in line before the filter, then I would fill up tank #1 with oil. I would be able to tell how much oil was in it when I was filling it. Then all I would have to do is fill up tank #2 with the right amount of diesel, for the mix I'm going to run, then open the valve and let the WMO start to get filtered. Then when it was all filtered, turn on the pump for 10 minutes or so, so its all mixed together.

Maybe have some sort of disconect between the pump, and where the pump pushed the mix back into the tank, so then I can turn on the pump, and pump it out into my tank....

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea you are on the right track, i just figured that way you could be more exact(it would work like a sight glass). I would do it to both barrels, say for the first time fill them up in 5gal increments and make a mark every 5gal on the hose that way you know exactly how much of what you have in each tank. just if you want to be meticioulus(yea i am no good at spelling).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So know that I have decided to keep my truck, cause of all your guys wisdom (although I'm sure a little biased to keep me in an IDI :D). I have decided to run WMO in my truck, I'm thinking around a 50/50 mix, maybe I will buy a new tank, and upgrade it with some sort of heater either electric (so I can plug it in at night), or for coolant, so that tank I can run a higher ratio of WMO to diesel.

So thats all sorted out, but since I'm going to be concerned with fuel economy, I will start a new thread about fuel economy mods for my truck, as well as others.

We should keep this thread alive though to discuss further about WMO ;Sweet.