full inch of advance

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
my IP must be beyond whipped. I cranked it as far as i could to the passengers side. Smoke at idle is minimal and now it revs really fast. I am hitting the governor hard enough that it lurches my body forward. Is my ip toast or what? The timing marks seriously have a full inch gap between them now. I hit 20psi in 3rd gear and didnt have enough road to see what 4th would net.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if the width of a dime = advancing the timing 3 or 4 degrees, then 1 full inch would equal...................holy chit, man

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
i am guessing the IP on the truck is the same it left the factory with. the odometer says 154,*** miles.

yeah the injector lines felt the pain when i got her over that far, the actual body of the IP hitting the intake is preventing me from rotating it any further.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
hmmmm, i am wondering if maybe it isnt the pump it left the factory with, perhaps it wasnt installed properly leaving me hopelessly retarded on timing.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
hmmmm, i am wondering if maybe it isnt the pump it left the factory with, perhaps it wasnt installed properly leaving me hopelessly retarded on timing.

:rotflmao hopelessly retarded:rotflmao any how I know the second pump on my truck went down hill really fast but I didn't advance it an inch but pretty far but that was just a bandaid :dunno Will the truck run if retarded a whole gear? if it will I can't beleive it would run very good let alone get the mileage you started out with on your trip:dunno

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
:rotflmao hopelessly retarded:rotflmao any how I know the second pump on my truck went down hill really fast but I didn't advance it an inch but pretty far but that was just a bandaid :dunno Will the truck run if retarded a whole gear? if it will I can't beleive it would run very good let alone get the mileage you started out with on your trip:dunno

yeah, i dunno, on the very end of the return leg i got back up to 16.3mpg. I checked the gear bolts and they are tight. its kinda like a moving target trying to pinpoint whats up with the fueling.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
An IDI will start with the IP gear 1 tooth retarded or advanced. When retarded a tooth, it will crank for a while hot and then start quietly. Lots of grey smoke. When advanced a tooth, it will start pretty quick but sound like pistons are hitting valves and will blow tons of white smoke. Adjusting the IP timing to 'correct' for being a tooth off still won't get you that close to correct.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
An IDI will start with the IP gear 1 tooth retarded or advanced. When retarded a tooth, it will crank for a while hot and then start quietly. Lots of grey smoke. When advanced a tooth, it will start pretty quick but sound like pistons are hitting valves and will blow tons of white smoke. Adjusting the IP timing to 'correct' for being a tooth off still won't get you that close to correct.

with the ip 2.5 dimes width advanced it crapped white smoke out at idle like crazy. the more i added the better the smoke got but, i kinda stopped at 4 dimes worth, thinking that i was way past 8.5. so today when i was under the hood I cranked it ALL THE WAY, idle rpm increased slightly, it fores up before the starter gets the memo. white smoke at idle is barely detectable and now it chirps the 35" tires.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Advance it far enough and I have heard that you can burn holes in your pistons :shocked:

think im proof that one dont happen buddy, i have run a long time with my timing advanced to the max, my pistons looked perfect minus the 2 that ate a glow plug tip, only thing really advanced timing does is kill glowplugs,

Add a few more rpm into your equation and lets see how much boost you make:D

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
In his case 2k miles than destroyed the engine.... so it must be ok.
Mr Young, was this a brand new IP? or some worn out stuff?

Do you need a meter to set the timing? no.
If you are going to test the limits, having the ability to know how far you've gone would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online