Fuel Tanks

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Ok... when i bought my 91 i was told the rear tank leaks.... well now the front tank is leaking....so im going to bite the bullet and replace both right away...

where is the best(cheapest lol) place to purchase fuel tanks? i searched but it must be buried in someones thread...

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want to stick with metal or are you thinking polymer?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Rear tank needs replacing and I'm thinking either rock auto or 1aauto for the tanks. I don't know if I want a full rebuild with internals or just the tank. It's not a job I want to do more than once.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
wow al....that was...insightful....i guess... lol

and you gave gary crap for all this ebay posts to up his post count....cookoocookoo:rotflmao

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow al....that was...insightful....i guess... lol

and you gave gary crap for all this ebay posts to up his post count....cookoocookoo:rotflmao

Um ya it was insightful,

I've priced em elseware and it's just the best place LOL

Now, in retrospect, how bout upgrading to 38 gallon rear or 33 gallon Bronco tank?

Just a wee bit more thought in the response for ya Jason, wouldn't wanna have my rep fall too far in yer opinion LOL

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
When I replaced my rear tank I surprisingly found Amazon had the bestprice for the 38 gal even after shipping. Years ago I got a front for another truck and got it Advance since that's where I usually get parts, I believe they were writhing a few dollars of the other major stores.

I like metal tanks, though I paint them before installing for extra protection. Plastic should be fine too and won't rust.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a link to the rear plastic one that someone posted a while ago Link

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought mine from amazon. Spectra tanks. Rear was about $60. Front was like $75 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason; You can get the rear tank 19 Gal. from Azone for $85 + Tx. if ordered on line, that's the Spectra Premium, there diesel fuel compatable. There nice tanks, I got one for my motor home. On line order is 20% off, I think you still get that and pickup at the store, or shipped to home. Code is CARLOVE

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...how bout upgrading to 38 gallon rear or 33 gallon Bronco tank?

Not to hijack, but I'd love to get something to give me some more range. I've never looked at anything other than a standard capacity aft tank; are there any other modifications you have to make when installing a larger tank?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but I'd love to get something to give me some more range. I've never looked at anything other than a standard capacity aft tank; are there any other modifications you have to make when installing a larger tank?

Never done it before, but I believe you need longer straps to hold the tank, extension for the fuel sending unit, and you have to find a new home for your spare tire.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Not really a hijack as long as we are talking tanks....

Thought about doing that on my dually but I did a bed tank instead.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score

The F26E tank comes with everything required, longer bolts and spacers to mount it, the extensions for the fuel pickup and return, etc. Personally I bought some compression fittings (5/16" and 3/8" IIRC) instead of brazing the extensions, and I used brake line bent how I want and cut at an angle towards the bottom to ensure it will get fuel all the way to the bottom. I did not use any sort of filter on the end of it as I'd prefer my failure points to not require dropping a tank. I also used a coat hanger to bend up a new float arm and calibrated it so it reads accurately from full to empty. Spectra instructions just lower the existing sender without modifying the arm, so it would read full from full to half tank and then drop from there. Aside from the sender/pickup modifications it's a drop in deal and comes with mounting hardware, new O ring and lock ring.

My truck had the rear tank skid plate so I picked up some rear tank straps at Advance along with some all thread and nuts. Mounted the tank using straps and then mounted the skid plate below that, so there's a gap however thick a 3/8" nut is to keep from holding water/mud/whatever right against the tank. I also primed and painted the tank and straps, and took my old skid plates to bare metal and primed and painted those too. Should keep the rust at bay and easy to hose out that gap whenever washing the truck.

I also did the tank vent mod on each tank when I did the big tank in back. it's documented elsewhere but basically drill the rolover valve out and epoxy a nylon elbow in it, run 5/8" hose to a NPT nipple high on the filler neck. I had trouble filling before but now it'll go as fast as the pump does. Worthwhile if you've got your tank out as you need the back tank out or bed off to do that one.