Fuel tank select valve

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Dad's 85 has a bad leak for the fuel tank select valve. I have looked online and only found after market tank select valves. All of the after market tank select vales have bad reviews. Does anyone have or know of a source for OEM tank selector valve?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not smart enough to give you link. But if you'll go to eBay and type in kascar fuel selector valve. It should come up with one for $235 and $11 shipping. It is oem, I bought one in August. This same valve is used on military hummers.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been able to pinpoint the leak? It could be one of the quick connect fittings, they have o rings inside that could split.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not smart enough to give you link. But if you'll go to eBay and type in kascar fuel selector valve. It should come up with one for $235 and $11 shipping. It is oem, I bought one in August. This same valve is used on military hummers.

All the Hmmv's I work on have single tanks and are 98% 24 volt system. Just curious which variant has a need for a selector.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been able to pinpoint the leak? It could be one of the quick connect fittings, they have o rings inside that could split.

No I have not even seen it yet. My Dad will be having his truck towed to my house this weekend. He says that there is lots of fuel coming from a black box thing with lots of what looks like fuel lines at the front of the front fuel tank. . So I was thinking that it sounds like he is describing the tank select valve.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank, thank you for correcting me. I think I should have said H-1 instead of military. When I was looking for mine I discovered this. Again thanks.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pollak made the OEM valve, and a generic version of it is widely available. Usu. requires some adaptation of the line fittings and electrical connector.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank, thank you for correcting me. I think I should have said H-1 instead of military. When I was looking for mine I discovered this. Again thanks.

Wasn't trying to be "that guy" just curious if there was a variant out there with dual tanks because I work on them for a living

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help again. I got the new tank select valve installed with new orings. Yes I installed a correct OEM one from the dealership. I primed the fuel system with a vacuum pump it fired right up. My Dad got to my house drove it home 30 miles to his house. He pulls in the drive way and the truck stalls out. He cant get it started again. I have yet to get to his side of the town to see what is going on. I talked him through looking at the unit to see if it is leaking. He says no leaks or fuel on the lines or the unit it self.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help again. I got the new tank select valve installed with new orings. Yes I installed a correct OEM one from the dealership. I primed the fuel system with a vacuum pump it fired right up. My Dad got to my house drove it home 30 miles to his house. He pulls in the drive way and the truck stalls out. He cant get it started again. I have yet to get to his side of the town to see what is going on. I talked him through looking at the unit to see if it is leaking. He says no leaks or fuel on the lines or the unit it self.

I would suspect sending unit problems. Basically what was said in the previous post, fuel level in one or both of the tanks. The fuel gauge may be lying to him.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
(1) The sending units have easily worn variable resistor plates in them that will lie.
(2) The tank pickup showerheads disintegrate and get stuck in lines or the selector valve.
(3) Air intrusion is possible after changing out the valve, even if you used a vacuum pump. Bubbles can be everywhere.
(4) How old is the IP? Could be heat soak, solved temporarily by cooling off the engine or IP. Did he try starting it a few hours later?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being as it's an 85, the rubber lines crack on the inside, when you wiggle them, like changing the FSV, small pieces of rubber break off, that can plug the FSV, not saying that's the problem, but could be. If the tank is at or below a 1/4 tank, the foot screen may be broke off, if that's the case, ya have to drop the tank(s). Check for air at the filter Schrader valve.

Attachments

• Shower head.JPG
    Shower head.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online