fuel system

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
oops.
my friend and I swap biodiesel whenever one of us runs low.
I pumped from the wrong tank (he wasn't there) and used unwashed fuel.

glycerin/methanol/lye settled out and clogged my filter.
no big deal, swapped out the filter/pumped out bad fuel, replaced with good.
trucks smoking white in a pretty regular manner.

probably need to pull/clean/dissassemble the injectors and clean the inlet screen on the IP.

anyone cleaned the screen on the IP? anything I should expect or know before I do this?
can I do this with the ip on the truck or should I pull it?
truck isn't needed for another 10 weeks or so as I'm off on a job without it, so no major hurry.

also, anyone have a spare set of working injectors they can sell me or should I hit ebay?

thanks
Drew

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I've cleaned the screen on the IP before with it on the truck. You have to be carefull cause under the filter assembly is the IP internal pump and it consist of an oblong ring and 4 paddles with spring in between and if you pull that ring off the paddles will be shot out by the springs and it'll be a pain to try and put back together. Also the filter assembly has a locating pin on it when you pull it out so pay speacial attention to where it goes as you can't see the hole you just have to get it close and see if you can feel it line up Good luck

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe once you clean the injection pump inlet screen and maybe run a bit of power service or stanadyne fuel additive through there it will clear on up. Doubt that the unwashed bio-D would cause that much harm as long as it had been processed. All that glycerin(or most of it anyway) should have been pulled out by your filter. Are you sure you got all the bad fuel out? No injectors to offer you sorry.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well, the fuel was good looking....
as you may (or may not) know, bio can be made, but glycerin will fall out of it until it is washed or the reaction stops on account of time.

anyway, I filled up, ran it and it probably settled where it laid.... I assume the ip/injectors are fulla the crap, seeing as how I ran near 100gallons of it.

anyway, leave wed for baltimore harbor, won't really be driving the truck again until late july, so no biggie, I'm gonna buy another set and clean these ones up....

drew

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew, ebay has a couple sellers with the delphi injectors(I like them) for $175 or less no core, new not rebuilt. have a good stint in mD , what will you be doing there?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
working on a tugboat for a dredging company.
dragline digs the dirt, we haul it.

get to work with some real diesels tho :) 16v71's and emd v16's