Fuel System Question

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im new to the forum but have been reading in the background for months now. I have a 93.5 f350 7.3 IDI 5-speed with the factory turbo 173k. I love the truck. I have read over a few threads people installing electric fuel pumps on there rigs. i have a couple questions

1. is the lift pump still installed
2. are these in tank pumps, or installed on the frame rail somewhere
3. what is the benefits of using an electric pump instead of using the mechanical pump.

thanks for the help

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The lift pump can stay, but it should be bypassed so the diaphragm inside doesn't rupture and fill you block with fuel. Better still is to remove it and install a big block Chevy blockoff plate.

The pumps are usually external and can be, depending on the type of pump, installed anywhere from the frame to the engine compartment.

Easier to bleed the system with the electric.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
He pretty much nailed it. I can also swap mine out in about 5 minutes if need be. I don't know how long it would take for a lift pump, but probably longer than that.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys like the e-pumps but I went with a mechanical pump. I had the original pump from 1991 installed on my truck and it was working fine. I replaced it in anticipation of a long trip. It wasn't the easiest thing to swap out but I can handle once every 20 years. I have heard a lot of guys complain about failed E-pumps leaving them on the side of the road. If your fuel system is kept up, you shouldn't need the e-pump. I see how it can be nice at times but I have not felt that deep of a need so far.