fuel system overhaul

grumpy1

Reaction score
i'm trying to work up a parts list and pre-purchase as much as i can before i start
new fuel tanks can be had for about $100 each
should i clean the old tanks or buy new ones
neither of the sending units work
should i wait and try to repair the old ones or buy new ones
i've only had marginal success finding units that claim to be for the front or rear tank
injection pump prices are all over the place
should i have mine rebuilt locally or buy a "new" one
and injectors ???

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If the tanks are in good shape, I would just clean them really good. If you are going to get into it this far and drop the tanks, you should replace the sending units. Most new IPs and injectors aren't very good quality, so you would be better off getting them rebuilt by a good reputable shop, or preferably send it out to @Thewespaul, @typ4 , or @Agnem who all specialize in these trucks and everyone on here highly recommends them.

Rock

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy new.
I bought new steel front tank, sending unit, and Ford OEM FSV.
I ended up changing my plans and going single rear tank only so it's all sitting new in the box incase you want it and are in the midatlantic region. Otherwise I included the screenshot so you have the part numbers you were wondering about. If your truck is 87-89.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grumpy1

Reaction score
If the tanks are in good shape, I would just clean them really good. If you are going to get into it this far and drop the tanks, you should replace the sending units. Most new IPs and injectors aren't very good quality, so you would be better off getting them rebuilt by a good reputable shop, or preferably send it out to @Thewespaul, @typ4 , or @Agnem who all specialize in these trucks and everyone on here highly recommends them.

Rock

i'm sure there's a passel of crud in 35 year old tanks
do y'all have a favorite cleaning method

I would buy new.
I bought new steel front tank, sending unit, and Ford OEM FSV.

mine is a 86
where did you get your parts

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i replace my trucks with new fuel tanks. but only for the fact that i do some welding on them before install.
i could spend $100 cleaning it, but will never get it clean enough.
plus, they are new.

if youre gonna buy sending units, do some research on tube style senders.
then you can use the stock stuff for pick up and return.

always new injectors and pump if you wish to rely on the vehicle.

i suggest www.russrepair.com.
he's "Typ4" here. great products.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If I still had an F-series, I'd be looking at higher capacity tanks if replacing (i.e. Bronco). Probably new, unless I could find a suitable used plastic one (incl. sender) that fit the truck nicely.

groovemonster

Reaction score
As for new IP and injectors, stay away from Pensacola Diesel. Unless you want to do the job twice!
I had bad IP right from the box, and their fuel line parts are pathetic.
I wish I could steer you towards a company I have first hand experience with but I can't - although many on this forum can. Generally speaking I suspect you get what you pay for in the IP and injectors world. I would also recommend you replace all your glow plugs and the glow plug controller since you'll already be elbow deep in them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I still had an F-series, I'd be looking at higher capacity tanks if replacing (i.e. Bronco). Probably new, unless I could find a suitable used plastic one (incl. sender) that fit the truck nicely.
F series rear tanks and bronco tanks are not the same

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
When I replaced my rear tank on my '90 CC long bed Dually I managed to get a Bronco 38 gal fuel tank stuffed under there..... Tank part #F26E. I found it on EBay shipped for little over $100. & I do like the bigger 38 gal Bronco tank vs the 19 or so gal factory tank!

For my new front & rear pick-up/sending units, trexautoparts on EBay has any parts you need for different year of truck you have like your '86. However I called & dwelt directly with them by phone. They were extremely knowledgeable & helpful for me.

BTW when I used the rear sending-unit/pick-up tubes for my '90 I had to remodify & lengthen them for the bigger, deeper 38 gal Bronco tank.

Hope this helps some.

grumpy1

Reaction score
the tanks at trexautoparts are about double the ones at rockauto
is this a quality issue
do y'all recommend the plastic or metal tanks

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
As far as all of your issues, check out classic diesel designs. Stock, mild, or even wild rebuilds on the injectors and the injection pump. As far as the tanks, my opinion is if you don't want to upgrade to a larger rear tank, clean it up as best you can and see if it is clean enough to your standards. If you are unsure we will all be willing to look at any pics you post and give our two cents. But in my personal opinion, everyone has one, new tanks don't have as many surprises lurking in the gunk covered pinchwelds that have been masked by 30+/- years of road grime and dirt. I have cleaned many of tanks with a gallon of chemtool and a whole jar of bb's. Let it sit a few hours and slosh every so often and repeat. I have had some luck, I have had some disappointments. Lately I take out the guesswork and buy new. Wes at classic diesel designs sells the rear tank with many different options as far as upgrades with the 38 gallon tank kits. As far as the front tank, I am not sure if Wes has anything for that but I am sure if you were to speak with him you may get pretty lucky. And even if not lucky for the front tank directly from him, I'm sure he will have part numbers and sources he would be glad to share with you. Wes (classic diesel designs) is known here on on as @Thewespaul

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my rear tank on my '90 CC long bed Dually I managed to get a Bronco 38 gal fuel tank stuffed under there..... Tank part #F26E. I found it on EBay shipped for little over $100. & I do like the bigger 38 gal Bronco tank vs the 19 or so gal factory tank!

this is a popular misconception. the F26D and E are not bronco tanks.

bronco tanks come with a 33 gallon tank, and the length is 22"
the F26 tanks are direct fit for the F series trucks with a length of 26"

bronco crossmembers wont allow you to use the F26 tank without moving one of the crossmembers

You must be registered for see images attach

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the 38 gallon rear tank with a sump on classic diesel designs. It’s a kit so should have everything you need for the swap. Come tax season I think that’s who I’ll be buying from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828