Fuel spraying everywhere under the hood!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my line was cracked wouldn’t fuel be spraying around the nut? My fuel is spraying down at the cap where the rubber line goes into the injector kinda like there is no where for the fuel to go

That would be my assumption and why I assumed it was an injector problem. It certainly wouldn't hurt to verify the line isn't cracked though.

It's also possible you have a restriction in the return lines but I wouldn't expect much of a spraying so much as a dribble. The return lines are not a high pressure system. When a cap goes bad they usually bubble and seep as opposed to spraying. But if your return lines are restricted then it could be building up pressure.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be my assumption and why I assumed it was an injector problem. It certainly wouldn't hurt to verify the line isn't cracked though.

It's also possible you have a restriction in the return lines but I wouldn't expect much of a spraying so much as a dribble. The return lines are not a high pressure system. When a cap goes bad they usually bubble and seep as opposed to spraying. But if your return lines are restricted then it could be building up pressure.
I have another idi I could swap a injector and see for sure

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have another idi I could swap a injector and see for sure

You could also try bypassing the return system around that injector and see if the leak is still at the injector or moves somewhere else.

Tee the rubber lines together bypassing that injector cap. Run rubber hoses from that cap to a pop bottle or cup or bucket, then fire it up and see what happens.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also try bypassing the return system around that injector and see if the leak is still at the injector or moves somewhere else.

Tee the rubber lines together bypassing that injector cap. Run rubber hoses from that cap to a pop bottle or cup or bucket, then fire it up and see what happens.
I bypassed it all the spray went away but the injector I bypassed is bubbling at the bottom and blowing mist

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bypassed it all the spray went away but the injector I bypassed is bubbling at the bottom and blowing mist

That could possibly be a bad copper washer. I'd pull the injector out and see how that looks.

Where is the mist blowing from, the threads on the injector or around the plastic cap?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd try pulling it out and replacing the copper washer first. Might have to take it to a parts store to match it up, not sure exactly what size they are.

Also make sure there's only one in there, sometimes they get doubled up and cause this problem.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could possibly be a bad copper washer. I'd pull the injector out and see how that looks.

Where is the mist blowing from, the threads on the injector or around the plastic cap?
I pulled the injector which was loose I unscrewed it by hand. No copper washer to be found on the injector or in the engine. This is the second injector that this has happened to since I got the truck. I’m thinking about replacing the injector just gotta order one now

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the injector which was loose I unscrewed it by hand. No copper washer to be found on the injector or in the engine. This is the second injector that this has happened to since I got the truck. I’m thinking about replacing the injector just gotta order one now

You're much better off replacing them all as a matched set from a vendor here. I understand that's not always financially possible but if you can you should, just food for thought.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I was off work today and decided to look at my situation again. I still can’t locate a copper washer so I assume it wasn’t installed. The pictures below show a hole in my plastic cap which was on the injector that was loose. I don’t know if the loose injector caused the hole but it looks like it got pretty warm and melted.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To melt the cap like that, the injector was sticking open, allowing hot gases back into the injector. Injector gets very hot and melts the return cap. My bet is you had an injector knock too? Seen it a few times on my old '86 F250 with very high mileage injectors.

Heath

Last edited:

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Likely the base problem is the missing copper washer and loose injector. The copper washer seals combustion gasses and provides a heat conductivity path. When the injector tip overheats bad things happen such as a sticking pintle which allows hot combustion gasses to come out the return flow port on the injector blowing a hole through the plastic return cap. My suggestion is to pull all injectors and verify copper washers in place, clean seating areas and proper torque. Install a new matched set and return line kit if you can.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Likely the base problem is the missing copper washer and loose injector. The copper washer seals combustion gasses and provides a heat conductivity path. When the injector tip overheats bad things happen such as a sticking pintle which allows hot combustion gasses to come out the return flow port on the injector blowing a hole through the plastic return cap. My suggestion is to pull all injectors and verify copper washers in place, clean seating areas and proper torque. Install a new matched set and return line kit if you can.

A return line kit should come with the washers.

Howard Welte

Reaction score
It sounds like the fuel is coming out of the return lines. There are two O rings under the caps the will crack when they are old.
There are some good videos on YouTube on how to replace them. (Pain in the ass, if you have a van type cab on your vehicle).
I ended up had to remove the injector pump and dismantal the high pressure lines from the injector pump to be able to get to the return lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online