Fuel Seperator Leaking

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 34 years it appears the screw-on water separator is weeping fuel from the electrical
You must be registered for see images attach
plug sensor.
Anyone know of quality replacement part still available and from where?
Thanks for any feedback.

gandalf

Reaction score
I'd suggest replacing that filter with a one peace filter. You will do away with the potential for leaking. I can't remember the number for the single peace filter, but I'm sure some one will offer it.

JPM4

Reaction score
I can't really see what you're talking about in the picture, but years ago, I had same/similar problem. Replaced o-rings, no issues since then. I'm sure there's videos somewhere on the internet. I seem to remember finding the correct size/type o-rings was the hard part.

Does this help:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

or

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Oh yes. Now I know that you're talking about the sender in the aluminum sediment bowl for the water in fuel light. Yes you can unscrew that and replace the o-ring on there. It takes a 14mm deep socket or wrench. When you tighten that sender back up, don't overtighten it. It's just made of plastic and will break. Yes that's experience talking.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really see what you're talking about in the picture, but years ago, I had same/similar problem. Replaced o-rings, no issues since then. I'm sure there's videos somewhere on the

Oh yes. Now I know that you're talking about the sender in the aluminum sediment bowl for the water in fuel light. Yes you can unscrew that and replace the o-ring on there. It takes a 14mm deep socket or wrench. When you tighten that sender back up, don't overtighten it. It's just made of plastic and will break. Yes that's experience talking.
Yes, I believe that is where the "weeping" is coming from. I wasn't sure 'if' there was an o-ring in there or not.
Question; do you only if there is also an o-ring at the brass water drain valve?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really see what you're talking about in the picture, but years ago, I had same/similar problem. Replaced o-rings, no issues since then. I'm sure there's videos somewhere on the internet. I seem to remember finding the correct size/type o-rings was the hard part.

Does this help:

or

I'm referring to the lower screw-on water separator under the fuel filter. Not the top fuel heater.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know about at the drain. I kept that 7.3 filter head when I swapped the 7.3 into my 1985 Blue Truck. I never did use that style of filter. I switched to the one piece filter because the o-ring that seals the sediment bowl to the filter can, sometimes, be a PITA and leak. I would have to look for that sediment bowl or a different one this weekend to be able to answer that question.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about at the drain. I kept that 7.3 filter head when I swapped the 7.3 into my 1985 Blue Truck. I never did use that style of filter. I switched to the one piece filter because the o-ring that seals the sediment bowl to the filter can, sometimes, be a PITA and leak. I would have to look for that sediment bowl or a different one this weekend to be able to answer that question.
Since new I've never had an issue with the large sediment O ring.
If u have a manufacturer and part number for the one piece filter I'll take it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've used a Hastings FF1039-SP. I forget what brand I'm running right now. That one does have the place for the sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.