FUEL SENDING UNIT( RHEOSTAT ) REPLACEMENT

uloadit

Reaction score
my fuel gage gets stuck on half a tank after refueling. i disconnect the batteries and then reconnect and it will go to full. some times it will go to empty then back up to full. the cost of a new sending unit goes between $600 and ford wants $800 , that is just not right. Does anyone know where i can just get a fuel rheostat ? i been checking on line to see if someone figured out how to get one to work in thes tucks?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try lmctrucks.com they might have the rheostat.

uloadit

Reaction score
Thank you !! i called they dont have a sending unit ,so i guess a rheostat out of the question lol

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rheostat is typically mounted on the outlet tube. I have taken a low cost unit, cut the tubes of both, and attached the new to the old with a compression union.

What is the resistance range of yours; full and empty?

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some are wire wound and some are deposited thin film carbon. An eraser will often work, if the element is still intact. I have had several that had worn open.

uloadit

Reaction score
idioit ,,, how do you split open the rheostat ? is it delicate ?

Last edited:

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, with the unit on a table, measure he resistance. Swing the float, slowly, thru it's range. You are looking for total resistance and dead spots. Sometimes just rolling a rheostat/potentiometer back and forth thru it's range can clean it.

If you find that it kinda works and you want to try to clean it, an eraser often works. I also have a fiber glass brush for more stubborn stuff.

If opening the case is reasonably possible, then how to open the case should be obvious. But understand, what you are attempting was never intended to be done. So yes, it is possible to destroy it by trying to fix it. And that would take you back to my suggestion of rebuilding it with parts from an available unit.

BTW, the price that was quoted I assume included a in-tank pump. True or not?