Fuel Pump

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
ok its been awhile and but since i think this is related to my original problem i'm not going to start a new thread... here is what my truck is doing (i have taken all non stock gizmos off so its stock now)

fuel pump makes a grinding noise about every now and then when i'm waiting on the glow plugs to cycle

truck is very low on power now most of the time, i pulled my bass boat this weekend and came to a hill i normally pull in OD at 70mph it slowed to 55 and only held that because i took it out of OD

when i start it it gets the romps nearly every time i start it even in 75 deg. outside temps, does it when backing out of the driveway and putting it in neutral or slightly pressing on the go pedal usually stops them but sometimes when i let off the pedal they return for a second or two

with my evo on the hot setting and i stomp it the black smoke coming out comes out in spurts and the truck feels like it is surging (it coincides with the smoke, more smoke it goes less smoke if slows down)

the truck has zero codes on it?!?!?!

truck doesn't respond to vulgar language or threats LOL

i have been wrenching on and building gassers all my life but sometimes these diesels get me stumped (like now) does this sound like a fuel pump? i also have been thinking i might have a injector going south but haven't had time to run any tests on them yet just curious as to what yall think is going on

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
jlayne,

If this is a repeated or stupid question, I apologize.

You do not have a prefilter do you? Like, if you have done the pre-pump mods? If it (the prefilter) was getting plugged it could be cavitating the fuel pump.

Longshot, I know.

Tom

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
kwazyca said:
You do not have a prefilter do you? Like, if you have done the pre-pump mods? If it (the prefilter) was getting plugged it could be cavitating the fuel pump.

no thank you... don't apologise man i am open to all opinions here (plus i need all the help i can get with these grease burners LOL )

i haven't done any of the pre pump mods yet... is there a screen in the tank from the factory that could have gotten plugged?

i have replaced my factory fuel filter about 3 times here lately with no improvements

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Another longshot.

I had vandals ( -cuss -cuss -cuss ) slip a rag down into a dozer fuel tank years ago. It would get bad romps and then die. Only to start up and run fine for the next couple minutes.

Might be worth looking at your tank screen.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try removing the pump and shaking out into a bucket to see if it's clogged with junk? I think I suggested you give that a try. I did.

Mucho-improvement. You should try it. takes 15 min. Costs nothing.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
tom.. i guess when i burn a little more out of this tank (if it runs that long :confused: the way its been going :mad: ) and see what i can find i hope it is something that simple

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Duke said:
Did you try removing the pump and shaking out into a bucket to see if it's clogged with junk? I think I suggested you give that a try. I did.

Mucho-improvement. You should try it. takes 15 min. Costs nothing.

i am going to do it tonight.. i haven't had a chance yet and told my father i would take him fishing over the weekend so me and the old fuel pump have a date tonight.. is there any way to check that thing while its out? volt meter or something?

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
jlayne said:
i am going to do it tonight.. i haven't had a chance yet and told my father i would take him fishing over the weekend so me and the old fuel pump have a date tonight.. is there any way to check that thing while its out? volt meter or something?

Maybe just run a couple of jumpers to the pos/neg and let it dry spin for a second......See if you hear any noises.

Tom

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do that with the fuel line disconnected while you're under the truck. Just leave the factory harness connected, turn on key. Not too long, though.

Mine looked like it had sand in it. Once cleaned, my fuel pressure went way up.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Duke said:
You can do that with the fuel line disconnected while you're under the truck. Just leave the factory harness connected, turn on key. Not too long, though.

Now I feel dumb:rolleyes:......................I should have thought of that.......................sorry.

Tom

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
got nothing out of the pump :mad: .. but it didn't do it this morning

I think i'm gonna put some of that junk in the tank that kills alge... if that don't work i guess i'll pull the tank, if there is nothing in there i'm going to set it on fire LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have critters in the tank, it'll show-up in your fuel filter. If you had junk in the tank, like gritty dirt, it would show up in the back of your pump.

When you shook the fuel pump out, did you shake it REALLY hard? I banged mine on the work bench to get the grit out.

Did you turn the pump on with the fuel line disconnected and the key "on" to make sure it was the pump?

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
well i jiggled it pretty good but no i didn't bang it on anything... maybe i need round two, a little less gentle... i turned the pump on with the key and it didn't make the grinding noise but then again it doesn't do that all the time

when you have critters what do they look like on the filter... mine has been black as coal evertime i have changed it, i also have this black goo in the bottom of the housing and i clean it out every time but it returns by the next time i change it

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh,

You may have another problem. I think it's something to do with asphalt residue or it could be critters (algae).

Does the black stuff come off easy or is it really stuck on, like glue?

In the interim, get some fuel system cleaner without alcohol.

BTW: My truck buzzes/humms intermitantly, too. It does not appear to be coming from the pump on mine, but from the engine valley.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
thanks duke i will try and clean it out with some cleaner.. it is stuck on pretty dang good (takes some heavy duty cleaning in the filter bowl with a rag).... let me guess this is bad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726