Fuel Pump

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Well I guess my fuel pump is on the way out -Drool , when you turn the key to let the glow plugs warm up i'm getting a growling sound or instead of a hum, i'm not sure but I think this has been causing some romps with my truck, and it has been fealing sluggish lately.. might not be related but i will see when i swap it out, i have also decided to put in a under the cubby pod with a fuel pressure gauge, not sure what i'm gonna put in the other two holes yet, maybe a oil temp and air pressure gauge... did anyone else have a pump that made noise before it quit? the way my luck goes I'm sure if I don't go ahead and replace it will decide to stop in the middle of atlanta on the downtown connector probably when i have a trailer behind me

Bean

Reaction score
Check for any leaks, if its getting air to it it will cavitate and sound noisy.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi bean. Thanks for helping on our site:) My truck is for sale if you know of anybody looking:) Let me know if you do. Thanks.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Originally posted by morepower02
My truck is for sale if you know of anybody looking

Whoa... thats a might expensive fuel pump...

I will check the lines and see if there is a problem there.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked-up a fuel pump on Ebay for $100 to build my twin pump set-up. There's usually one for sale.

You might want to try removing the pump and shaking it out. There may be water & grit from the tank stuck in it. I removed both my pumps and vigorously shook them. One had about 1/8 teaspoon of grit in it!!!

After you've cleaned it, you might want to try a prepump filter, like a Dahl 100, etc.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check ebay. I sold my stock pump last year on ebay for $60 bucks. Right now I am running the SX pump from Diesel innovations.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic comparing the stock pump to my new one.

Attachments

• pumps.jpg
    pumps.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 124

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still am running it. I have had it for 30,000 miles. When I added it I needed it for the MM injectors. It supplied the fuel for 475 rwhp.:) It also appears to be built alot better than the stock pump and flows ALOT more. Kinda spendy though. With the billet sump they go for $845.00 My buddy Nate at performancetruckproducts.com sells them. I got mine thru him. Also dieselinnovations.com can hook ya up. I also run the Diesel innovations regulated return dual feed fuel system on the engine.

Last edited:

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a pick of the dual feed regulated return

Attachments

• return.jpg
    return.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 91

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my heated Dahl 200 and twin pumps for ~$425. My fuel pressure never dropped even at 447 RWHP.

No doubt the SX pump is better than my set-up, but I wanted to do it cheaper and I like the ability to just run one pump when normal driving and flip a switch to kick-on the other pump. Plus, if one pump fails, I have a back-up :)

The heated Dahl200 is awesome. My fuel is super clean and when it gets cold, the heat can be switched on in the cab. I've been running this system for 3 years and it's dead nuts reliable.

I heard Powerstroke Racer saying there might be a problem with diesel fuel eventually taking out the SX internals? Might be just a stupid rumor, though. :confused:

Last edited:

Snowman269

AKA: DDDENIO
Reaction score
MorePower02, Why are you selling truck? Dennis

BTW, since I've last talked to you, I moved to Detroit Lakes, MN. The wife and kids ae still in MI, but not for long.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new job has me driving 130 miles a day. I get 18-19 mpg with my truck. I might by a cheaper truck and a car. Not sure yet. I may by a new f-150:confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online