Fuel Pump

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
morepower that is a kick butt fuel system man, not sure i will ever build my truck to need something like that but, it is very impressive, i would hate to get rid of that thing after you have spend so much time and money on it... bummer if your getting a f150 though plan on getting a car for mileage though i had a 99 f150 and the best i got out of it while it was stock was about 14-15 and my fathers expedition is even worse he gets 12-14 (drives him nuts my "rattley old diesel " will smoke is expy and get way better fuel economy to) heck i even had a tacoma 4x4 and it still would only equal the fuel mileage my f250 gets, it didn't get much better if any than my stroke out on the interstate... in town it had it beat though the little taco did pretty good there

duke i have heard that the dahl's get air in them and have to be "burped"??? have you ever experienced this? I'm thinking I might have to try one out... look pretty slick

Bean

Reaction score
My suggestion is, first check out your stocker, if its bad just replace it, next get a prefilter. If you need more fuel later on just add a low pressure high volume pump BEFORE your stock pump as a feeder pump. This will feed any injector you would want with 1-2 psi pressure drop.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i like that idea bean what prefilter and pump do you suggest? do you suggest putting the second pump on a switch?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had as much as an airbubble in my Dahl200. I don't know if this is pure coincidence, but it seems like only the Dahl100's have the airbubble issue?????? Never had any problems with mine.

I ran a small Purolator prefilter on my F-350, which only has a stock single pump, and did get some air bubbles, so I removed it.

The only reason to upgrade your fuel delivery is if you have a feul pressure drop. First order of business is to install a fuel pressure gauge to see if you have a pressure drop. I put an Autometer F/P gauge in a single pod on my steering column and it works great.

With Hypermax stage 2's, I had about a 40lb drop in pressure. BUT this was mainly due to a dirty/clogged stock pump. I added a second pump and bigger (10AN) lines and no matter how hard I dump the throttle, there's no drop with both pumps "on" and only about a 10lb drop with one CLEAN pump on.

swh22

Reaction score
Hey Duke,

I've got two superduty fuel pumps hooked up on my truck, but plugged one up for the time being. I wasn't sure how the pump handles pressure in the opposite direction, my hoses split right before the pumps and then come together right afterwards. So if I didn't plug the "T" I would have pressurized fuel trying to go backwards through one pump. If you followed any of that... I assume your system is set-up similarly and you are saying this isn't an issue? I was hoping to run the second pump off a switch like you have, but was worried about this. This might have just made my day ;Sweet

Thanks,
Steve

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swh22,

First of all, WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!! great to have you here. ;Sweet

To answer your question, I have my system set up as follows:

I have (2) 1/2" dip tubes in the tank. Each dip tube goes into a 1/2" Goodyear diesel rated hose. Both 1/2" hoses go into the Dahl200 fuel-water seperator. The clean fuel then exits the Dahl200 via (2) 3/8" goodyear hoses. Each 3/8" hose goes into (2) seperate stock fuel pumps. Each fuel pump has a 3/8" hose running up to a check valve (this is the "T" you asked about). The check valve keeps the fuel from the main pump running backwards into the secondary pump. When they're both "on", one fuel pump won't push fuel into the other.

Finally, the check valve goes down to (1) 10 AN stainless braided line that runs into the stock fuel bowl.

swh22

Reaction score
Duke said:
running up to a check valve (this is the "T" you asked about). The check valve keeps the fuel from the main pump running backwards into the secondary pump.

Yep, that's what I was looking for, thanks :thumbsup: Did you find a fancy check valve for this somewhere. I didn't look real hard for one when piecing my system together and needless to say, I didn't find one.

I actually registered here almost a year ago - I can thank geonc for that :hail - but hadn't been back much recently. It's looking good though, I'm going to have to hang out here a little more :Thumbs Up

Steve

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it came from Mcmaster-Carr, but it might have come from a local hydraulic shop, too. We did it so long ago, I forget!!! Run both lines to it, then run the single up to the bowl. Mine's been on for 3 years with no problems. I'll see if I can crawl under and get a part # for you this weekend.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
duke how did you rig up the twin dip tube, did you have to cut another hole in the tank? also do you think the your system would work if you had two T's one to split the fuel feed into two pumps and then use your t with the check valve, or would the single tube not have the volume needed?

swh22

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Duke, but don't worry about crawling around to find a part number ;Sweet I'll search around and see what I can find, just checking to see if you knew it off the top of your head.

Jlayne, I think what you are describing is similar to what I have. I have -12 sumped out the bottom of my tank, up to fuel filter/water separator, then T into 3/8 rubber onto back of two SD pumps, then -10 out of both pumps (too much, should have used -6), into T (insert check valve) then to another filter, then up to engine compartment with -10 and split to the back of both heads with -6. You can split before and after the pumps it just adds some fittings because you need a single line going into/out of the filters before and after the pumps.

Steve

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
steve, see the only problem i'm going to have (i think) is my truck has a skid plate under the tank (I would really like to keep it, and i don't want the sump hanging down because me being the smart guy would probably rip it off).. will factory setup just not flow the volume the engine needs, or is it a pressure issue.. i'm trying to rig something up that works but doesn't need a sump. thanks for your help

swh22

Reaction score
jlayne,

you can definitely do it without sumping the tank, really depends how much fuel/power you are trying to flow. One of the guys on TDS is running 175 cc injectors in a 94-97 truck with his fuel system only modified after the stock selector valve and says it's working well, I think it was 10psi or so drop at WOT.

I bet you could rig up a larger pick-up tube out of the top of the tank without much trouble if you really need a lot of fuel and want to keep your skid plate. Or sump it into the side as close to the bottom as you can get and just give up the last little bit of fuel. If you are trying to suck out a lot of fuel through a small pickup you probably want to measure the restriction with a gauge right before your pump. That's a good way to fry a pump. With that and a fuel pressure gauge to see how much you are dropping at WOT, you will be able to tell whether or not your fuel pickup is sufficient.

Steve

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also install the Skid plate with the sump on. Just add some 3 inch spacers and longer bolts for the plate. I have not done it but have seen it done ;Sweet

Bean

Reaction score
Just put a -10 bulhead fitting in the top of the sending unit, pickup cover and then put a hard line on the bottom of it keeping it about 1/8" off the bottom of the tank. That is enough to feed even the Aeromotive or SX pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.