Fuel pump not running after running out of fuel

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not have an in tank fuel pump in these IDi`s.
The only fuel pump is on the lower driver side of the engine. It is an engine driven pump.

Is this truck a factory installed IDI? or did you swap an IDI into a gasser truck?

Did you add fuel after running out of fuel?
Wondering if you ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank, if so then the shower head is probably broken off and the pick up tube is above the fuel level.

Goat

natesewell901

Reaction score
You do not have an in tank fuel pump in these IDi`s.
The only fuel pump is on the lower driver side of the engine. It is an engine driven pump.

Is this truck a factory installed IDI? or did you swap an IDI into a gasser truck?

Did you add fuel after running out of fuel?
Wondering if you ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank, if so then the shower head is probably broken off and the pick up tube is above the fuel level.

Goat
It’s a factory idi qnd I had no clue i by passed that pump and installed a inline electric pump. I filled the truck up after I ran it out and I can get the truck running off a can of diesel but when I put the pump on the fuel line it won’t pull fuel

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a factory idi qnd I had no clue i by passed that pump and installed a inline electric pump. I filled the truck up after I ran it out and I can get the truck running off a can of diesel but when I put the pump on the fuel line it won’t pull fuel
Yep. No in tank fuel pump with a diesel.

If your tank is full, but your electric inline fuel pump is drawing no fuel then you have a blockage issue. The pickup in the tank is blocked. Or the lines are blocked somewhere. Or the fuel selector valve is not working.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the factory lift pump? You can diconnect the fuel line before the filter and pull a vacuum to see if you get fuel. if you don' t get any chech the fuel selector valve. You can put your fingers on it as you toggle between front and back tanks. If you don't feel a big click, there's your problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online