Fuel oil in 7.3 idi

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got rid of my boiler in my house and have probably 40 gallons of heating oil left in the tank... Any issue with just putting this in my truck to get rid of it?

1993 Ford F-250 7.3 idi with a banks turbo kit

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that "fuel oil" and "boiler oil" are closer to jet fuel than Diesel ... I'd probably try it ... I'd also cut it with about 60% Diesel fuel + Lucas Oil.

What could possibly go wrong? -Flame Thr

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about where you live bet here heating oil is just dyed diesel but the tank it's in might be pretty dirty an have some water in it I'd get some in a clear jug and let it sit a night and see how much filtering you need to do to clear it up

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably mix 50-50 with regular diesel just cause - fill tank halfway with regular diesel then add fuel oil. That will even things out.

As far as water, it'll be on the bottom - so the first gallon or so you drain off of the tank, look at and see if it's contaminated. If it looks and smells right, just run it. Otherwise, keep draining until you find fresh oil.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, heating oil is supposedly just diesel without the tax. It might even have the sulfur our old diesels crave. Make sure it's clean, put a little of your favorite lubricity enhancer in, just in case.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got rid of my boiler in my house and have probably 40 gallons of heating oil left in the tank... Any issue with just putting this in my truck to get rid of it?

1993 Ford F-250 7.3 idi with a banks turbo kit

Do they do road checks anymore and dip the tanks of diesel trucks? I have heard about them, but never ran through any or got stopped before.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard of them dipping tanks at farm sales, livestock auctions, or other farm related "events"

I've also seen people at my local station that sells on and off road diesel, that have been stupid enough to pump off road into the trucks tank on their trucks. That station is on the main road in town, and the state, county and local police stop in there all the time. I'm paranoid enough that I don't even like driving one of the diesels up there if I'm getting red diesel for something here at home. I know a guy that was extremely lucky. He was hauling campers and had a DOT number on his truck and burned red diesel all the time. Don't know how he never got dipped......

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine will burn the fuel no problem, however as others have said it is illegal simply because you didn't pay road tax....... IMO, filtering doesn't need to be elaborate for this small amount unless it's ridiculously dirty. Gravity feed thru a coffee filter laying in a funnel will remove most of the dirt and your engine filter will get the rest.

Matt0608

Reaction score
just be careful, if its heating oil then it should have a red dye or something like that and should run in your truck. I'm fairly certain its almost the same as diesel. I would still suggest adding in diesel with it along with some 2 stroke outboard oil or Lucas.
also you can add about 8oz or somewhere around there of the 2 stroke outboard oil to your fuel as a lubricant for the engine. I've started doing that and i think it makes my idi run a little smoother but maybe that's just me

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the same, we use it in our back-up diesel generators at work. Same truck puts the same fuel for the boilers and the generators.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online