fuel mileage ? for my new boss

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to work this week for a very nice guy. He runs a crew and we put up gaurdrail for the state of texas. On the very first day of work every body was talking trash about the 2005 f450 6.0 auto 4.56gears. Me and to other guys drive a 2002 dodge cummins oneton with 6speed and 4.10 gears. the dodge pulls a 30ft trailer loaded with gardrail and tools(about 10000 per day). It gets about 9-11 miles per gallon. The ford has never gotten over 6.2 in the last year. It pulls 35ft trailer with bobcat one it every day at about 12000-14000lb. My boss takes it to ford every month with something wrong but all they would do is reflash the truck. One day he told them he was going to lemon law it then they changed there tune. They replaced 5injectors on engine(the only ones they can get to without taking cab off they said) and relashed it. It gained about .5mpg after that. The fuel pump sounds like it runs for ten minutes after you kill engine(they say it is a safety feature). Today they killed truck and I was up buy engine and it sounds like bearings are going out on turbo. Truck will not go faster than 65mph and thats at 2800rpm and 28lb boost. This is the most gutless truck I have ever seen and would like to figure out why?? The truck is stock with factory exhaust and air filter. My boss is afraid to change any thing with his 100000mile warranty. Was wondering what you guys think and is there any thing we could do to get ford to do any thing for us? We spent over $2000 on fuel this week and we need help. thanks greg

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Greg, first thing I'd do is find another dealer. One who has a tech that's willing to properly diagnose what's wrong with the truck instead of just throwing parts at it hoping to find the right fix.

EGR valve and cooler along with the turbo are thing to look at.

As far as lemon law goes, that's an option as well depending on the laws of Texas.

My '06 never really gave me any trouble and for quite a while I was pulling 10-12k everyday and managed between 9-11mpg depending on my right foot.

Good luck with it.

John

custmaltima

Reaction score
My truck is a tire service truck and with tools and me it weighs 10,000 almost on the nose. It will get out of the whole and has all sorts of power everywere! Event with my heavy foot it gets 9.5-11.2. Ususaly the 10.0 mark every time.
How many miles are on this truck? Did you buy it new? Sounds like posibly blocked exaust, intake or dirty fuel filter/lines. Good luck. Hope someone can get it figured out for you