Fuel Line & IP Deposit Help

Bio-Bradley

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what might cause the buildup seen in the photos? I pulled out my ip and installed a new one from Oregon Fuel Injection. Truck runs great and I'm happy with the new ip. Unfortunately they are keeping most of my core $ because of the deposits they found in the head of the ip. What causes this deposit? It's gummy & gooey. The only thing that seems to remove it is scraping. Degreaser works a little bit. I've found this buildup in the fuel lines around the injectors too. Could it be from vegetable oil or motor oil? They are telling me it's damage from bio fuel, but I want a better explanation and a way to fix it. Hence, I'm reaching out to all you fine folks who've had this type of truck much longer than I have. How do I clean it out of my fuel lines, high pressure fuel lines & fuel tanks? I've been dealing with this build up since I bought the truck.

I've had the truck 4 years and have only put 8,000 miles on it. With the new ip, it runs better than it ever has while I've owned it. It's even quieter. Truck is an 89 ford f350 Custom, 7.3 idi, 4x4 w/zf5, 8' bed & regular cab.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Would like to get some folks to weigh in. Thanks and I hope you're all trying to stay cool this summer!!

-Bradley

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the previous owner was running for fuel. Because it doesn’t look to me like it was diesel from any fuel station. When I started reading, my first thought was these guys must be jerking this guy around, then I scrolled down and saw the pic. Wow. That looks terrible and I completely understand why they didn’t give you full core value. Maybe it was homemade biodiesel, maybe straight vegetable oil, maybe they stumbled onto a few hundred gallons of old diesel they found in an old farm tank. Whatever created that mess, you really need to go through every bit of your fuel system and get it clean. It may be running better now, but that junk may be lingering elsewhere just waiting to start breaking up and causing havoc.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats veggy oil and water I seen it on a few rigs and @Clb. Is spot on a sonic cleaning is all it takes also some good dyed fuel for a while will help it out

Edit Also always write down or take pic of any number you can when it comes to a core IV had a lot of companys try to screw me

Last edited:

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats veggy oil and water I seen it on a few rigs and @Clb. Is spot on a sonic cleaning is all it takes also some good dyed fuel for a while will help it out

Edit Also always write down or take pic of any number you can when it comes to a core IV had a lot of companys try to screw me

@Oledirtypearl86 that makes me wonder, do you have a functioning water separator on the truck? I always kinda wonder about the people that have bypassed their water separators without replacment. I have had water in mine over the years, though much less after cutting one source of fuel out. I use commercial B20 normally in my truck and it seems to do well, but thats probably less risky than straight bio.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Oledirtypearl86 that makes me wonder, do you have a functioning water separator on the truck? I always kinda wonder about the people that have bypassed their water separators without replacment. I have had water in mine over the years, though much less after cutting one source of fuel out. I use commercial B20 normally in my truck and it seems to do well, but thats probably less risky than straight bio.
Nope mine is bypassed and IV ran b20 but usually just #2 and atf

Black dawg

Reaction score
I was given a bunch of veggie oil about 10 years ago. Used a funnel to pour it into 5 gallon cans. This oil was pretty clean, and still 10 years later, that funnel (that I use every day) still has a crud coating that wont come off. Dark brown stuff that is thicker than just a stain, you can feel it inside the funnel.

I wont ever run that in my truck.......and I have run just about everything in it.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I wonder what the soft fuel lines in the truck are made of? People replace them all the time with old timey gas lines that will degrade rather quickly with modern diesel.

Bio-Bradley

Reaction score
The previous owner ran diesel, but I don't know about owners previous to the gal I bought it from.

TNBrett The fuel lines from the tank are relatively new. I only know that because I've dropped the rear tank to replace the fuel sending unit. The entire inside of the tank had this stuff in it. I was able to clean a fair bit out of the tank, but I couldn't get it all out.​

@Clb I'll have to look into the sonic cleaning. Regarding dyed fuel, are you referring to red diesel? The guys at Oregon Fuel Injection said they'll have to sonic clean it, but that the head will be pitted from the veggie oil. They thought it was veggie oil too.​

I've never run straight veggie in it, but have had 3 or 4 tanks of 100% biodiesel. I'm usually running a mixture of diesel & bio.

As far as a water separator, I have a fuel filter/water separator combo installed.

@Oledirtypearl86 I did take photos of the ip I sent over. I also asked for photo proof of the damage & the model number from OFI. So far, they seem to be on the up and up.

Thanks for the replies to my comment & question. Appreciate the support!!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think red dye has any "cleaning" properties to it, now the veggie oil issue's I bet is food debris and acidity...