Fuel lift pump?

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a new lift pump, since mine leaks when cold. I was going to go to International and buy one, but noticed that O'reilly's has a Delphi brand pump for 39.00 dollars. Delphi are good, has anybody installed one of these pumps? FYI, ford wants 163.00 for this same pump. This is the diaphragm pump that runs off the eccentric on the cam. I was also going to change out the bolts for studs since the housing is aluminum and it should be easier to re-install/align the gasket etc.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
FWIW I have called my local INternational Dealer and they keep refering to go to my local Ford since this engine is in a Ford.
I went to a local parts house and got the same pump and installed it on my engine and havent had any problems, the hardest part was trying to get the plunger arm to line up with lobe on the cam and then get the bolts tight.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a new lift pump, since mine leaks when cold. I was going to go to International and buy one, but noticed that O'reilly's has a Delphi brand pump for 39.00 dollars. Delphi are good, has anybody installed one of these pumps? FYI, ford wants 163.00 for this same pump. This is the diaphragm pump that runs off the eccentric on the cam. I was also going to change out the bolts for studs since the housing is aluminum and it should be easier to re-install/align the gasket etc.

Never used a Delphi fuel pump. Sorry I can't give you feedback on that. But, my question is...... with studs.....will you be able to position the pump's arm under the lobe? Not saying you can't use studs, but just a thought I had.

Heath

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Delphi a while back and it seems like a well made pump, No problems yet.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I will try and get the International pump and let you know the part number

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No big deal on a lift pump. Same old pump they used on all vehicles before fuel injection came along. Most any auto parts store has a Carter or Airtex pump. The newer design Carter has a straight arm on it, as the older design had a dogleg arm which was easier to install, ya just gotta make sure the arm is under the cam lobe. Instructions are in the box. Azone, Oreillies, Advance about $26. Ford dealer has to pay the mechanic to run down to Azone for the Carter pump. Dealers don't stock them.

Pic#1 Carter-----Pic#2 Airtex

Azone Airtex.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1990-Ford-F350-1-ton-P-U-2WD/Fuel-Pump/_/N-igpv3Z8vcz2

Attachments

• carter pump.jpg
    carter pump.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Airtexpump..jpg
    Airtexpump..jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

tatersf250

Reaction score
i just put an airtex pump on mine, works great, same pump from the dealer was 79 bucks, oreillys here had it for 26

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last ford I got was 83.00, dont use studs, you cant angle the pump in correctly with them.

Bob87

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also installed an airtex from oreilly's on mine. So far so good. I've read that others have had trouble with them, but I needed mine in a pinch and didn't have any choice but to use the airtex. I put 300+ miles on my truck round trip without issue a couple weeks ago.

I agree on the studs idea. While it would be nice to have them to hold the gasket, I don't think you can get the pump positioned correctly to snake the pump arm towards the cam. I used a thin layer or No. 2 Form-a-gasket to hold the gasket in place and that worked ok.

Good luck.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, will go to O'reilly's and pick one up. Ford is crazy with the price increase.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Permatex is a great gasket holder in placer. let it tack up a minute or two before sticking it on the engine....thin, thin, thin coat, no need for all the goo.

Also, a question, I've seen several posts stating to place the lift arm "above" the cam lobe, and some saying "below" the lobe.

Which is it?? I'm thinking below because pressing down on most pumps goes against the return spring.

I know... a little obvious.....but... just clarifying in case someone knows sumpthin I don't.... chances are pretty good too and why I ask. cookoo

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The arm goes below! Just angle the pump arm straight down as much as you can when installing it and bolt it up. Should take about 45 mins to swap the whole thing out. I am using the Carter brand pump from A zone.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought so.... just wanted to clarify in case one of those fuel bleeders threads someone installed the pump lift arm "above" the cam... although, it probably doesn't fit or won't go on inn the first place... except with that new BFH sitting in the garage.