Fuel Heater Meltdown Avoidance

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we pulled a loaded car trailer from GA to CA in '04, I melted my fuel heater somewhere along the way. How can I avoid doing this when we head back east in April? Was age the most likely cause for the meltdown, or pushing up some of the long grades in AZ and CA?

Just trying to fix problems before they occur. :)

Thanks,

Mike

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine you could simply unplug it just to be on the safe side. If you're driving out in spring or summer, you shouldn't need it.

I can't recall having heard of a fuel heater melting before...I would guess that it's related to age? I can't remember what turns it on (I don't think it's supposed to be on constantly)...my guess would be that whatever sensor turns it on stuck, leaving it on full-time until the element got hot enough to melt things.

Just some thoughts...good luck!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, fellas. I'll assume that whatever caused it to come on would have been fixed when Ford made the repair a couple years ago, since I have had no further trouble. I was thinking the same thing--it should not be needed when the weather's warm. It failed in the middle of summer!

Mike

82fordtruck

Reaction score
you don't really need it - mine has been broken for years. I doubt it had anything to do with what you were pulling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger