Fuel gel? Not making sense.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we had a cold front coming through yesterday and today. Temps getting down to -15*. In preparation for winter I had replaces my fuel filter and a day or 2 prior to the cold temps I put in a double dose of PS Winter Formula (white bottle) as that is what the instructions say for temps under 0*.

I was plugged in, the van started up and idled just fine. I left for work and all seemed normal. Then about 10-15 minutes in I noticed a little surging, a sign of fuel flow issues. Sure enough a few minutes later my fuel filter light comes on and the van sputters and dies.

I let the e-pump run for a while but was still only getting a slight flow of fuel from the shrader valve on the fuel filter head.

So does it sound like I needed more anti gel additive or maybe is it that there was actually water in the fuel that froze?

Just a little perplexed because I thought I took all the right preventive steps. I did remove the fuel heater from the fuel filter head a number of years ago, but I have had these types of temps before with no issues.

What are your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make it be getting a little gelling if it was me I would try the red bottle that's for already gelled fuel and frost issues on the bottle it says to fill the fuel filter with it an fire it up and dose the tank I would try that on my truck

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me this morning, luckily im 5 minutes from work. I added the red additive once I got to work.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make it be getting a little gelling if it was me I would try the red bottle that's for already gelled fuel and frost issues on the bottle it says to fill the fuel filter with it an fire it up and dose the tank I would try that on my truck

Thanks. I grabbed some of the Red Bottle and picked up a new fuel filter.

I usually carry the stuff with me, but has used my spare filter when replacing it in the fall and hadn’t bought another one. In this instance I am just getting it towed home instead of fixing it on the side of the highway. It was really cold, I have roadside assistance and with the snow I couldn’t get as far off the hwy as I would have liked to feel safe working on it there.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also usually parking it inside where it's warm will help un gel the fuel

Yeah. Problem is the van is too tall for my garage. I was thinking about trying to rig something up with my propane heater etc, but not sure. Kinda hoping I can just add the 911 stuff and then let it work its magic.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Me too! At least I'm not alone! I realized my red bottle is in my diamond plate toolbox.... Behind my garage at home!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me this morning, luckily im 5 minutes from work. I added the red additive once I got to work.

It started surging and I just kept thinking “Come on, u can do it, just 10 more minutes to work....”. Guess the van kinda gave me the finger then.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Kevo is (or was) running a Facet Duralift, but Jayro are you also running a Facet Duralift? I had issues with my truck at 16 below this morning. Truck did not die but the filter light came on and there was little fuel pressure but she stayed running. I am running winterized fuel with Stanadyne Performance Formula so I don't suspect gelling. I do suspect that the Facet Duralift does not like 16 below temps.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Problem is the van is too tall for my garage. I was thinking about trying to rig something up with my propane heater etc, but not sure. Kinda hoping I can just add the 911 stuff and then let it work its magic.

Yeah my truck is just about 1 inch too tall to fit in my garage so I take some air out of the tires till I can squeeze it in wish I had 13 foot doors

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Kevo is (or was) running a Facet Duralift, but Jayro are you also running a Facet Duralift? I had issues with my truck at 16 below this morning. Truck did not die but the filter light came on and there was little fuel pressure but she stayed running. I am running winterized fuel with Stanadyne Performance Formula so I don't suspect gelling. I do suspect that the Facet Duralift does not like 16 below temps.

Yes, I am running a Duralift. I could hear it running. Mine is mounted on the frame rail underneath the van. It makes me wonder if it runs into issues due to the metal screen in the bowl. We were really cold here far a while a few winters ago and I thought about trying to figure out a way to insulate the bowl somehow......but then it warmed up and I never got around to it.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wondered if it had anything to do with me removing the fuel heater element on the filter head. I did that a number of winters ago and this is the first issue I have had since then.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I didn't do was loosen the water drain on the fuel filter to make sure there was none prior to the cold. maybe that was it?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wondered if it had anything to do with me removing the fuel heater element on the filter head. I did that a number of winters ago and this is the first issue I have had since then.

That won't be it - that little fuel heater in the filter head wasn't good for anything. I am beginning to suspect that the Duralift gets sluggish when it gets really cold. I have had mine installed for just over a year, and this was the first really cold day since then. I am not impressed with the Duralift right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online