Fuel filters

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I been burning oil just fine for now and I must say I do like it :love: I even have a much better smoke effect. I do have an issue tough, I'm using fuel filters like mad. I use the purelator version for my idi, and every couple weeks I have to replace the filter or it will blockate the fuel passage. I know some will say filter more but I'm filtering down to 1 micron and someone else uses my oil with no ill effects so I'm inclined to think the problem is this filter, before I used motorcraft but since I was burning plain oil I bought the purelator for cheap ($20).

What filters are you guys using?
I'm thinking of a secondary filter before the stock FF but I'd like to fix it with just one better filter.

Thank you.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Ez, what temp are you filtering at?

If my truck is supposed to be heating the fuel to at least 150 degrees I filter at 120degrees.
I even prefilter cold with an old tshirt to catch the cooler weather chunkies.

otherwise I'd recheck your system and make sure it is heating as hot as you think it is. 5miles on the road and you can't hold the fuel lines prior to the fuel filter.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I filter it at ambient temps first (gravity) and then I heat it a few times for a week and filter it the last time at about 120-150f with 3 different filters down to 1 micron and a water separator.

I do have some issues to get it hot when running, I have a heated tank, inline heater and a heat exchanger but I still have to insulate the tank and maybe the fuel lines for better results.

Thank you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hey Aleck thank You for the link, how much was for the filter head and filter element?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well today I insulated the oil tank and I can hold the temps right at 140f and sometimes 155f, granted it was 100f outside temps today :rolleyes:. Maybe I'll get a heated filter right after the oil tank before the fuel tank selector.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here is an update on this thread. I been having the same problems with the filter (same brand) I replace the filter and the fuel/water separator looks dirty, like sand (flour?) inside not as hard as sand maybe more like dirt. It is not much but it is a lot for just a cople weeks on the filter. Today I replaced the filter (same brand) and right after I run it hard fuel filter light will come ON run it for a couple miles and every time I go high on rpms (2k) the sensor for the fuel filter will go off.

I think the problem is the filter here but I can't explain the dirty stuff on the separator bowl. I'll try a wix filter next and I'm running straight diesel until I find what the problem is, also I filled the diesel tank on a different pump a cople time so I'm going back to my old diesel station too.