Fuel Filter Retrofit Questions....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I snagged a pre-pump filter head (same as the 7.3 IDI) and cartridge filter canister off a 2000 Schoolbus with a T444E in it. I'm probably going to have the fuel heater TIG welded up and relocate to the passenger fender. (I'll get to that in a minute) Anyways, I was wondering if there would be any type of benefit whatsoever to running the T444E style cartridge filter in my truck? Other than having found the filter for 17 bucks a piece, they seem to be the same micron rating and ought to be able to flow enough fuel. (That price is for a 7.3 PSD filter btw, it's proving difficult to find the PN and price for the T444E filter.EDIT: Wix Number for this filter is 33517) Has anyone converted to a cartridge style filtering setup on their IDI like this? Question two- I noticed the pre-filter for the T444E is a much larger filter, with the same micron rating and flows 15GPM but with a MUCH lower price tag. They measure out at around 11 inches long and sell online for 12 bucks a pop, with the water separator drain in the bottom to boot. Has anyone relocated their filter heads and/or running this particular filter? The PN for the T444E filter is 33405 (Wix Number) in case anyone wants to look at them. Any input is appreciated. I'm trying to think a little outside the box and find a more economical route to gain the same results.

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Sounds like a good setup! Ive always been a fan of the dual filter setup and that what I implemented on my truck.

I replaced my water separator with a Wix 33439 and left the stock engine mounted filter. This is the same setup International used on their trucks with the 6.9