Fuel filter housing issue

Gigihurt

Reaction score
My 94 CClwb with a 7.3 turbo fuel filter housing is leaking at the water sensor is there a way to repair or should I just build a new housing and adapt it to my rig.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an oring on the bottom, usually a new filter comes with it. There's also a drain valve that can also leak. Some folks like to delete all this, but bear in mind that when you do this you run the risk of passing water into your injectors pump and injectors.

Clean it up really good and see if you can see where it's weeping from. If it's the large oring on the bottom, it should be a pretty easy fix: go buy a new fuel filter (the one for the separate bottom water separator like the one that's on your truck) and you'll get the big o-ring. If it was me, I'd make sure I started and warmed up my truck. Removed the fuel filter, inspect and replace the big oring on the bottom, fill the fuel filter with clean ATF or diesel fuel (I like ATF as it comes in a handy bottle, it's easier to pour and store than fresh diesel, and it lubricates your injector pump) and fire up your truck. Remember, don't crank your truck for more than 10-15 seconds at a time after a filter change as you could damage your starter.

Good luck, and let us know where you find the leak.

Reaction score
Couple options:

1. Replace sensor o-ring (no idea what size. May be pain to find)
2. Replace sensor (would likely come with o-ring. Probably not expensive)
3. Replace fuel filter with WIX 33417 (NAPA 3417). Eliminates entire lower bowl (1-pc design). Does have a drain, but does NOT have a port for the sensor. I'm running one of these right now. No issues.
4. Replace fuel filter with WIX 33617 (NAPA 3617). Also eliminates entire bowl. Built-in drain is actually a slicker design than the 3417 because it's a valve (not a nut like the 3417). Way easier to work with (no more spilling diesel on your hands or losing the nut). This filter DOES have the bung needed to thread in the sensor. It comes with a plug in the port that has an o-ring, so either you could run it without the sensor hooked up (so, just like the 3417, but worth it for the nicer drain IMHO) or you could salvage the o-ring off the plug and swap it onto your sensor. Don't know for sure if it's the right size, but it's worth a shot.

FWIW, the two times I replaced the filter, the truck didn't hesitate to fire right back up after. No hiccups. No stalling. NADA. I did fill the filter prior to installing, though (usually with some kind of additive like PS Diesel Kleen or Howe's).

Mike

Last edited:

Gigihurt

Reaction score
my sensor is in the top of the housing. there is nothing attached to my filter but the drain cap on the very bottom.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
Im sorry new owner syndrome, its a fuel heater oring that is the issue. found out how to replace and repair.