Fuel Filter clogging in cold weather

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have a relocated LP (thanks Vulcan Welding) and 1/2" lines and a second, 10 micron filter, do I need to worry about the second, unheated, filter clogging with wax?

We dont get much cold weather here in Texas but a cold front can blow through and dip us into the teens. Do I need to worry about the FF clogging since it is not heated?

Should I add an antigel additive in <32F ???

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

I was told by a injection pump rebuilder to avoid PowerService products because they contain alcohol.

Attachments

• DSC01185s.jpg
    DSC01185s.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 14

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry too much, we hit 4 degrees here in missouri last week and i had no peoblems with gelling. power service is a good product, the alchohol removes the water..thats the whole point, but if you really want to stay away from power service and still add something, use what the big rig drivers add...kerosene, add 1 gallon to 30 gallons of fuel and your as good as gold.

Whit

Reaction score
Straight #2 gells around 30* if I remember right..........I run an additive year round anyway so the anti-gell is just a bennie

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true...but fuel companies add crap to the fuel thats being delivered to lower climate areas..or they wouldnt be able to get it out of the tanker...

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most fuel companies mix in #1 diesel with #2 to keep it from gelling, at least here in southern missouri thats what they do. power service is a good product, i use it all the time

bentwings

Reaction score
This is the first year I've had any trouble with fuel clogging the filter. I'm not sure just what it is as I changed the filter right before winter and it only had about 4000 on it. Even when it is up to 20 deg it the gage shows about 3-5 psi down untill it warms up. At -10 I'm down to about 5 psi until it warms up. Warm up can take about 10-15 minutes even with the radiator blocked off at below 0 temps.

We have B2 and B5 at most pumps now so maybe that's part of the problem. I did put a Fleetgard filter in this time but I had a Wix in before and it had at least 15,000 miles going into winter last year and didn't drop but maybe 5 psi when very cold out.

When it is warmed up if I drain the water drain I usuall get a bunch of gunk out at first. Then the psi come up to normal.

Whit

Reaction score
The more bio % the higher the gel point. you need anti-gell.............also the more bio the better the lubricating properties, a 2% bio will ad 60% more lubricity over #2

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to check the fuel heater in the fuel filter basket. There is also a relay that controls the fuel heater. It is not controlled by the ECM/PCM computers. It's got a simple thermstat on it to kick it on or off. The relay turns the juice on to the heater and the heater is the black ring in the top of the filter housing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle