Fuel filter change not going nearly as smooth as it should

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i got my filter off, and in the process i broke the water sensor wire(see attached pictures). Then i texted mcgyver aka Al and he informed me that if i use the one piece filter i dont have to screw around with the twopiece thing (im pretty sure my old filter wouldnt come apart anyway) So i went to napa and got the onepeice filter (see picture). However according to the filter i still plug in the water sensor, now is that an optional thing to do or do i have to use the sensor instead of the plug it has in it right now.....I was thinking of just threading the sensor in and not soldering it back together.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
You got the fuel filter which does not require the screw-on piece for the bottom? Good. That screw-on POS thing is a PITA.

You broke the WIF wire? Should have pulled it off before you started messing with the filter. It's not really necessary to have it hooked up. At very worst you might have the idiot light on. That's okay if you know why it's on.

The broken wire? Its only a wire. Put it back together with a spade connector. That's an easy job.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Need something to plug the hole with so it wont leak be it plug or sensor Id also be tempted to put thread sealent on it, other option is the WIX 33417 filter, one peice with no hole for the sensor but its harder to come by (O'rielys has them here)

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gandalf, I kinda assumed the wires on the filter mount were the only wires there....i should have looked it over better, So when i start unscrewing the filter it just ripped out. The biggest problem about reconnecting the WIF wire is i dont know where the other end of the wire is.....i think i may just thread in the sensor as a plug and just open the drain occasionally. All the wif light tells you is to open the drain when it collects to much water, correct? I read somewhere (i think on here) it only lights up when theres enough water for it to close the circuit and in my entire oenership of the truck (a bit over a year) its never lit up

thanks for the number kc ill call international and the other local parts stores tmo and see if they carry it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That WIF line is part of the engine wire harness. Its wrapped in the vacuum filter lite harness thats on top of the filter. What you broke off really is not a big deal and nothing will melt down if you leave it alone.. Really though.. It looks like someone else cut the wire and stripped the end and couldn't "find" the other end of it.. So they left it that way.... Still not a big deal about not having that connected..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAPA 3417 has a drain without the sensor hookup. That's what I have in mine.

Mike
ME too...but when I'm in a meeting, I cannot run out n check....

Heck I didn't know that there was one you could screw the sensor in that was a one piece filter...kewlies!

May get that one next....

IF you choose to use the one with the sensor..this time and change next time...

WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T USE TEFLON TAPE ON THAT SENSOR...WHAT SO EVER.....USE A THREAD SEALANT.....

JUST SAYING

DON'T!

A

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the sensor has an o-ring, no sealant of any kind needed. Yes, remove it from your old sediment bowl and install it in your new filter. Unwrap the harness that plugs into your filter heater and the vacuum switch on the side of the filter head, locate the only loose bare wire inside, and reconnect the pigtail you ripped off to it. I've had occasions where I start a long trip water free, and like 1000 miles in (and in the middle of nowhere, at night, during a storm) the light comes on - junk fuel I guess, but still, I don't usually mess with the fuel system while on the road, so if it weren't for the light I'd never know of the water till it's too late.

And since we're on the subject, I'd like to know what that little "tire" valve is for in the factory sediment bowl - any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tire vavlve on factory sediment bowl.....:sly:dunno Not really sure but heres a guess at what you refering to... Up top the tire valve is called a schrader valve. It looks like any air fill fixture on any rim or inner tube tire. Thats to bleed air and fuel out the top of the filter when air gets in it. The other fitting closer to the firewall on the filter head with the wire on it. The sender that looks like an oil pressure sender... Thats the vacuum switch. It tells you the filter is pulling a vacuum because your plugged up or the lift pump crapped the bed. Either way fix it fast or ruin the injection pump... Now the knurled drain on the bottom of the aluminum sediment bowl to the 2 piece filter found on the 7.3 engines is to allow water and dirt to drain out when the water in fuel dash lite comes on...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC the sensor has an o-ring, no sealant of any kind needed. Yes, remove it from your old sediment bowl and install it in your new filter. Unwrap the harness that plugs into your filter heater and the vacuum switch on the side of the filter head, locate the only loose bare wire inside, and reconnect the pigtail you ripped off to it. I've had occasions where I start a long trip water free, and like 1000 miles in (and in the middle of nowhere, at night, during a storm) the light comes on - junk fuel I guess, but still, I don't usually mess with the fuel system while on the road, so if it weren't for the light I'd never know of the water till it's too late.

And since we're on the subject, I'd like to know what that little "tire" valve is for in the factory sediment bowl - any ideas?

Gary he is actually speaking about the valve on the sediment bowl, I'll get a pic up asap...

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her done : D, and I even learned a new trick courtesy of Mcgyver lol

Well I ende up doing away with the wif sensor......how often do you guys drain the water out?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I use a BF1222 filter...No WIF sensor port and very inexpensive. With the WIF sensor it's a BF1222SP. I don't drain mine very often but when I do check it there is no signs of water....I thank the Howes diesel treat for that.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have howes to how much do you pour in when you fill up?

I use to always use power service but the howes was at napa so I grabbed a bottle

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a BF1222 filter...No WIF sensor port and very inexpensive. With the WIF sensor it's a BF1222SP. I don't drain mine very often but when I do check it there is no signs of water....I thank the Howes diesel treat for that.

How much/where are you getting those?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now I'm gonna have to look at the sediment bowls I have laying around tomorrow for this "tire valve."

You could carry around a good clean bottle to drain your filter into. If it's clean, I dump it back into the tank. No point in wasting it. Or I'll dump it on my lug nuts, or some other piece of metal for rust protection. That's how often I drain mine.