fuel filler mod

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody ever thought to use the PSD rollover valve and plumbing design?

Ron.... not sure about all the PSD's. Over next door, someone was asking about "harpooning" a tank on a SD. There is apparantly a similar issue on the SD trucks. I do know on my Excursion, I do not have an issue filling. I have a single 44 gallon tank in the very rear, in basically the same location as the older trucks (80-97) rear tank. I can run in fuel and not have any burping or belching issues. I have not filled up at a "big truck pump" however the station I normally use has a large nozzle on one side of the On-Road Pump. I know with that pump, I can put in $50 in about a minute. (keep in mind that $50 is not a fillup, 44 gallon tank, last fillup was $150). This nozzle is almost he same size as the fill tube. Might be something to look into.

Mel, does your Ex have any filling issues, or can you run fuel into it as fast as you like?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tomorrow i hope to have my bed off. i will be doing this mod and fix my fuel pick up tubes. im going to use my hoist to pull the bed off because i have good luck doing it this in the past.;Really

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i finnaly got around to doing this mod. i have a few more questions. first is i used a piece of 3/4 inch hose and i linked the front tank to the rear tank with a t fiting, will this cause any issues? second concerns the bed. when i pulled the bed i cut the bolts and i am woundering if a 1/2 inch bolt with washer will work to bolt the bed back on, and how long should they be? thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you cut them off with a cut off wheel or a hot wrench (torch)? If a cut off wheel, you can use the pieces of one bolt to give you an estimate on the length. I don't know the stock length of the bed bolts. I'd get the appropriate sized grade 8 carriage bolts from Fastenal or another reputable fastener company. The stuff at Lowes, Tractor Supply and the like will not be of the same quality.

You tee'ed the two tanks together? Why? Don't know if that will be a probelm or not, just having seen that done before.

Heath

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes that should work, most bodylifts come with bolts and big flat washers to replace you factory ones.....Lift the bed up and drop something into the bolt hole that sticks out the bottom about an inch and use that for your measurement.(IE a screwdriver)

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you cut them off with a cut off wheel or a hot wrench (torch)? If a cut off wheel, you can use the pieces of one bolt to give you an estimate on the length. I don't know the stock length of the bed bolts. I'd get the appropriate sized grade 8 carriage bolts from Fastenal or another reputable fastener company. The stuff at Lowes, Tractor Supply and the like will not be of the same quality.

You tee'ed the two tanks together? Why? Don't know if that will be a probelm or not, just having seen that done before.

Heath

i tee'ed the tanks together because i thought that was how people did it. i think it will work after all is 3/4 inch hose. ill take a pic.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the bed back on and it went good until after the bed was all bolted down then i noticed the rear tank leaking. to make it worse its full of fuel. so when i burn it up ill be droping the tank. do you guys have any ideas were it could be leaking from. just a fyi four 3.5 inch long bolts work for the back 4 holes, two 4 inch bolts for the front 2. half inch is the bolt diameter

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres a pic

The thing about the vents: You don't want any spots in the venting lower than the top of the tank it's serving. When you are filling, the station fill nozzle will overfill the system to shut the pump off. Some fuel can get into the homemade vent system, so it needs to be able to drain back to the tank. If your vent line leaves the rear tank and then drops down to meet the front tank vent line, fuel can gather in the low spot and block the air flow through the vent line.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a 94 idi in a junkyard and noticed the fuel filler necks are already wider to accept big rig nozzles.
I got rid of the roll over valve completely and found a brass fitting that was snug enough to fit into the top of the tank where the rollover valve was. I used some rubber hose to route to the top of the bed near the filler neck and put a piece of cloth over the end to prevent any dirt getting in. It works fantastic and i dont have any issues filling up.