fuel filler mod

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive read about it but i dont understand it? does anyone have a diagram of it? and a parts list? im tried of the truck spiting fuel all over the bed before the pump turns of.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
ive read about it but i dont understand it? does anyone have a diagram of it? and a parts list? im tried of the truck spiting fuel all over the bed before the pump turns of.

I haven't done any mod or harpooned the tank. I fought fueling for a couple of years till I found a pump that I fill up in a reasonable time at.
It wasn't the pump; the conrete at the pump caused the truck to lean to the passenger side. I now carry 2 1' pieces of 2x8 nailed together in my tool box. I put the left rear tire on top and fill up like normal people (well ;Really almost). Saves a lot of time, & I didn't have to pull the tanks.
FWIW,
Chuck

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I simply opened up/ovaled the vent slot under the fuel caps...no more clicking-off of the pump all the time. However, I never use the big Rig pumps.

CGBear

Reaction score
What are you supposed to use instead of the 90 degree elbows?

from the link:
2 - Brass street elbows with 1/2" thread, from Home Depot, Watts AB #A-832, $3.08 each. These are installed in the steel filler neck. You can probably use nylon if you want but I went with brass for extra strength. (Update: These elbows are not recommended for this mod.)

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I personally would NOT recommend the filler mod where you bypass the roll over protection valve and run a larger hose to a fitting in the filler neck. Yes, many do praise this mod for allowing them to fill in 10 seconds/use big rig nozzles. BUT, those same people then turn around and have to deal with vacuum issues in their tanks.

Instead, why not improve on the original design? Not just fix one problem to create more hassle (and eliminate a safety feature). That was my thought at least when I did the following mod.
Do yourself a favor and put away your wallet. Go grab a BIG screwdriver (or chisel) and hammer off the wall in your garage. Then go out to your truck and turn this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Into this:

Yes, simply widen the EXISTING tank vent that was designed into your truck. No you won't be able to fill in 10 seconds, but you WILL be able to get the first click on the nozzle. Thus, you don't have to hold the damned thing for 15 minutes. From my experience so far, this mod has worked perfectly well for the several months I have had it.

Good luck with whichever you decide, plenty of members happy with either mod but it comes down to choice.
-Dave

Last edited:

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
wow dave i love it !! i'm gonna have to try it, as it is a hell of a lot easier then dropping the tank!!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im planing to pull my bed because my front tanks pick tupe is broken when i get to a 1/4 tanks the truck stalls so its time for some rubber hose

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine...I really opened those suckers :backoff

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys really have to drop your tanks to do the fillter vent mod? I didn't (not the front one anyway)

Well, I already had the rear tank out for something else, but I sure didn't drop the front one. I just took the clamp off the hose and pulled the whole filler neck assembly out.

Also, I'm not sure what vacuum issues are being referred to...I did the mod almost exactly like it's shown on dieselstop and I love it. I can run a big truck pump and half throttle and it fills the tank (and empties my wallet) in just a minute or two.

Hey CGBear just use straight nipples...I used some steel nipples I found at Lowe's near the plastic pipe (they have plastic nipples and steel nipples). I got one that is listed as 1/2" x 1/2" but it worked perfect with the 5/8" vent hose I used. I used one of the similar sized 90 degree elbows to JBweld into the shell of the rollover valve to go into the top of the tank.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure what vacuum issues are being referred to...I did the mod almost exactly like it's shown on dieselstop and I love it. I can run a big truck pump and half throttle and it fills the tank (and empties my wallet) in just a minute or two.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42556&highlight=fuel+vacuum

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43169&highlight=fuel+vacuum

Quite a list of members in the first thread with vacuum issues. What gets me is the idea of running fuel caps loose to fix a problem that was created by the mod. cookoo The second thread further explains the issues with the creation of a vacuum state in the tanks.

Heath, your system looks very impressive. Any vacuum issues? Yours is the first I've seen that hasn't done away with the ROPV. ;Sweet

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Anybody ever thought to use the PSD rollover valve and plumbing design?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Anybody ever thought to use the PSD rollover valve and plumbing design?

From what I remember, they were pretty much the same. At least for the OBS powerstrokes it seemed to be. In the pictures I linked in my earlier post, the top photo is from our 96' PSD and the bottom is from my 91' IDI. Both seemed to fill the same before I modded my IDI.

It could have changed for later PSD's or superduty trucks though...hopefully someone will chime in that can tell you for sure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are my experiences;
1. You have to be careful with the type fittings you use, they need to have a very tight bend for the rear tank. I used a very tight copper fitting in place of the roll-over valve, and it still is somewhat smashed between the bottom of the bed and the top of the rear tank. There is plenty of room though at the front tank.

2. I was somewhat lazy and did not want to go through the trouble of modifying the filler neck to attach the new 1/2" vent tube. From reading the above links to the "vacuum" problems, it looks like my laziness was a good thing. I just bought a long length of 1/2" rubber hose, and after I attached one end to the tank vent, I ran it across and looped it up very high into the cavity behind the bedside on both tanks, and pointed the end down with a piece of window screen on the end. I tied it up there to make sure it would not fall down. I have no vacuum problems, and once in awhile when the pump nozzle automatically shuts down at the station, I might get a little foam out of one of these vent hoses, but not much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online