Fuel Delivery Question

1983idi

Reaction score
So I'm curious as to how the fuel delivery works on our IDI's I have bypassed the lift pump and am running a green MR. Gasket fuel pump. (Its a piece of garbage like everything else nowdays) Anyways the electric pump has been sounding like its not running right lately. Then on a 190 mile tow the truck started to seem like it had lost power and was shaking a bit. Driving slower made it better so I did that. My fuel mileage was lower than normal as well. Realized the electric pump was intermittently running when I got home. So does the injector pump draw its own fuel in if the electric pump fails? Also is there any possible damage to anything from running with the electric pump not working all the time. Im not driving it until i fix it but wondered if i should check anything for damage?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm curious as to how the fuel delivery works on our IDI's I have bypassed the lift pump and am running a green MR. Gasket fuel pump. (Its a piece of garbage like everything else nowdays) Anyways the electric pump has been sounding like its not running right lately. Then on a 190 mile tow the truck started to seem like it had lost power and was shaking a bit. Driving slower made it better so I did that. My fuel mileage was lower than normal as well. Realized the electric pump was intermittently running when I got home. So does the injector pump draw its own fuel in if the electric pump fails? Also is there any possible damage to anything from running with the electric pump not working all the time. Im not driving it until i fix it but wondered if i should check anything for damage?

It should only draw when the electric pump is supplying fuel to it. That' the way I understand how it should work. If the mechanical fuel pump stops supplying fuel the Injection pump should run out of fuel. So it should be the same concept I would think.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bypass the mechanical lift pump? The Mr. Gasket fuel pump is only suppose to draw fuel from one tank and put into another. There is no pump in tank; so if the mechanical pump is still hooked up and you rupture the rubber diaphragm then the Mr. Gasket will fill the motor with diesel?
I got my truck and it had a Mr. Gasket fuel pump in it and it reek havoc with my truck. Replaced it with Carter Fuel Pump and a fluid filled pressure regulator set it for 6.9 PSI and installed a glass fuel filter before pump so I could see if parts where coming from the pickup screen in tanks. I just got rust so far. I will be pulling both tanks and replacing every thing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my mr gasket 105p, it’s lasted me over 100k, and it’s been abused, it’s mounted at the highest point in the fuel system, it’s been left on overnight and it come off it’s bracket ridden against my exhaust manifold. It doesn’t want to quit!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got my truck with the mr gasket type of pump. Whoever installed it put a small engine type fuel filter between it and the tanks. It’s clear and you can see a lot of rust particles it caught. Without a filter there, the pump would probably get ruined often.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It should only draw when the electric pump is supplying fuel to it. That' the way I understand how it should work. If the mechanical fuel pump stops supplying fuel the Injection pump should run out of fuel. So it should be the same concept I would think.
Not quite.
The transfer pump will actually pull fuel.
That's why many notice slight issues when a lift pump goes bad.
Or others don't notice until they swap the filter, therefore breaking the seal in the system.
It won't run as good, but will run. Timing will be affected. Also the IP is cooled by excess fuel. So it may run hotter than normal. Will it decrease the life of the IP? Maybe, but we don't know that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle