fuel cut off for engine braking

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way you are going to get more engine braking is either by a Jacobs type setup, exhaust brake or adding a throttle body.
Cutting the fuel isn't going to do much.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Most newer diesels do exactly that...if the engine RPM is above idle but the throttle lever is in the idle position, the engine isn't getting any fuel whatsoever. I was actually under the impression that it was this way with the IDI's as well; I'm not certain either way, though...but this is definitely the case with my Jetta; I've verified this using a connection to my laptop that, among other things, measures fuel flow to the injectors.

With that said, so little fuel is injected into the cylinders at idle that I don't think cutting off fuel while going downhill (which is not tantamount to shutting the engine down; the engine's still going to be spinning at whatever RPM the drivetrain's pushing it at) is going to make enough of a difference to be worth the effort. I could be mistaken, though...

My 6.0 does exactly this when it is in overdrive with a torque converter locked. Love the sound of it, err...lack of sound of an engine rotating with no fuel ignition. Even OBS powerstrokes do this.

I also thought that when engine braking the IP wasn't pushing fuel. I guess the one way to get a rough idea is to listen while doing it, then do it again except turn the key off for a second and see if these sound the same.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the way i see it is, if you need something other than service brakes and grabbing a lower gear then you have a couple things that are going on.....

you are over loaded for the tow vehicle.....

your service brakes need to be overhauled...

your going WAY faster than you should be for the road you are traveling on and the load you are carrying.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about killing fuel while downshifting. A momentary!!! Switch on your stick shift. We all know how gassers engine brake. Image the fuel cut off working more like a butterfly valve on a carb or a throttle body

When your coasting/brakeing, there is very little fueling to the engine. Why anyone would want to shut off the fuel to the IP is beyond me. What if the engine wouldn't start again? Dangerous. Besides, the engine is already brakeing the most it can.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the way i see it is, if you need something other than service brakes and grabbing a lower gear then you have a couple things that are going on.....

you are over loaded for the tow vehicle.....

your service brakes need to be overhauled...

your going WAY faster than you should be for the road you are traveling on and the load you are carrying.
That covers it.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
its not about over loading or going too fast or worn brakes. it was just a question. ive been working on a idi 4spd truck that lost fuel from issues in selector valve. i noticed how the engine with no fuel is a great brake.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Doing this with a standard trans momentary is not going to hurt anything. Now just make sure the switch is a push to activate and when you let go of it the switch automatically goes back to the normal run mode position. Just like a glow plug manual switch. It only works when you push it. As posted alrady. Its probably illegal in all states. Its not going to harm anything in the pump or injecters. One more thought. I'm not seeing how this is going to give you any engine braking. Now if you were to install a guiteen valve over the intake manifold inlet then you will cause the engine braking your looking for when the engine becomes a compresser that can't suck in any air. Same thing a gas engine does when the butterflys go closed on the carb engines.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several things here:

To clarify, I'm assuming you have a manual trans and you're leaving it in gear and killing power to the engine to hopefully improve engine braking.

There's no need to do this, but it's also not going to hurt anything.

With the way these engines are setup you've already got no fuel going to the injectors if the throttle is at idle and the engine is turning faster than idle speed. The injection pump has a min/max governor built in and at min throttle (ie idle) it's going to completely shut off fuel injection when engine rpms are above the idle set point.

There's no loss of lubrication because you've still got full flow through the lift pump, transfer pump and injection assembly, just nothing getting injected. In fact you have *more* flow than at idle just do to higher rpm. (This is assuming you're shutting off fuel with the normal solenoid - if for some reason you added a fuel valve and shut that off yes you would cause problems.)

As long as the engine is still turning you'll still have full brakes and power steering. The only problem would come if you popped the clutch of stuck her in neutral for whatever reason, then you would lose it.

I am not sure if turning the engine off while still in gear is technically illegal - I know coasting in neutral is but not sure exactly what the letter of the law is. Probably is, but I doubt it'd ever really come up unless you got in a wreck somehow due to that.

Shutting off the engine with an automatic tranny would probably eventually cause the truck to hold back more, but only because the trans would probably blow up - the lube/pressure pump is crank driven, so killing the engine would starve the trans for lube oil. Bad idea.

So bottom line, I don't think it's as bad of an idea as some here, but it also wouldn't buy you anything. The only way to make it hold back better is an exhaust brake, which is an awesome addition, but quite pricy.....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Love the sound of it, err...lack of sound of an engine rotating with no fuel ignition. Even OBS powerstrokes do this.

I think I know what you're talking about, with my 94 psd. It will get pretty quiet while coasting.
Then when you get back in it, you can feel it kick back to life. Almost like a split second push start.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel injected cars will cut off fuel supply when the throttle is closed, but only above a certain rpm. Unless you can duplicate that, killing fuel is a bad idea.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I tried it on my way home today and couldn't feel a difference. This was on the flat ground in town, not coming off a mountain, but flipping the IP off, didn't feel any different than just letting off the go pedal

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flipping a switch or holding a button down every hill is no benefit, it is an inconvenience. The amount of fuel injected into the engine while coasting at idle is so insignificant that such as idea is merely a safety hazzard.